Thread: beetle

I found and squashed a black beetle in my only hive yesterday. It was about 1/8 inch in diameter. Is this the new pest, I thought they were smaller than that, and how much does the poison ground treatment cost?

The world has always been full of beetles. And Bee hives have always been a nice place for them to hang out. I'd look up Small Hive Beetles on Yahoo or Google and look at some pictures before I jump to conclusions and start doing anything about it.

I completely agree with Michael. As someone who has been living with SHB, they are very easy to identify. Follow Michael's suggestion to do a google search - there are tons of pictures out there. SHB are most likely found on either the inner cover or on the bottom board, particularly if there is a lot of hive debris.

If it turns out that you do have SHB then a ground drench using GardStar is the accepted EXTERNAL treatment. My state (Virginia) will provide this treatment free of charge, you may want to check if your state provides a similar service. You can buy 4oz concentrate (makes 23 gallons) for about $23

Good Luck

Thank you very much for the advice. I did a search and found that the SHB has a flattened profile and since the one I found had a high dome appearance, until I found it, hopefully it was some other beetle that won't harm my hive.
    Thanks again and good luck. I'm learning that good luck and possibly some prayers are going to be necessary to keep this hobby going.

Rod350,

I've seen more small hive beetles than I care to mention, but I would not likely use the term "flattened profile" to describe one. Its profile is closer to that of a ladybug - which in my book is not flat. Look at the images on: http://doacs.state.fl.us/~pi/enpp/ento/aethinanew.htm

I'm used to seeing things that look like the beetle in figure 1. A very distinctive feature of these guys is the "ping-pong" paddles on their antenna.

I certainly would not dismiss the possibility that it was indeed a SHB that you saw in your hive, but there's no need to panic either. If it was a SHB its not the end of your beekeeping career - much less of a problem than mites, but one that you must be aware of and deal with appropriately.

Again, good luck.

I don't think it was a small hive beetle. It was about the right size but it was black shiney and shaped like half a bb with very small legs. I'll just have to wait and see what happens next.

Rod,To the best of my knowledge,SHB is not a problem in Ct........yet.We in Ct. still have a bee inspector.Give him a call if you have doubts orquestions. we also have an excellent Ag Experiment Station with offices in New Haven and Labs in Windsor and Hamden.And believe it or not ,your hives must be registered.See..http://www.caes.state.ct.us/ and also http://www.caes.state.ct.us/Inspecta...i.htm#Arborist
    and also http://www.caes.state.ct.us/Insectof...sectOffice.htm Jack

[This message has been edited by Jack Grimshaw (edited May 02, 2003).]

I am aware of this Jack. My hives were inspected twice last year by Mr. Kettle. Thanks for the links, these are new to me.
    Rod

I'm sorry to give you bad news but the small hive beetle was found in Montrose,Ct last year. This data from the Ct Extension people at a talk they gave at our club. The Backyard Beekeepers Assoc meets in Weston,Ct on the last tues of the month. Lots of good stuff. Are either of you guys members?

Dickm

dickm
    I figured it was just a matter of time before SHB found us.Not familiar with Montrose,must be downstate near you.
    I'm a member of CT Beekeepers *** .but not Backyard Beekeepers.I've met a few of your members at EAS meetings and it sounds like a super group.I'm thinking of attending the bee-lining workshop on 6/7 given by David Blocher but I may have a conflict.
    Jack

I guess one can't try to abreviate association.
    Jack

Wink

You know, filters do have their limits

-Barry