Thread: Gone?

Question

A friend called & said he had 2 hives that left,he stated 2 week's ago they seem fine. 1 hive had 3 hive body's the other 2,he's Med & feed Fumidil.both hives had honey & still has brood,no dead bees around they are just gone,why would they leave brood & all he's got other bees around them & they seem to be o.k, mark

This could be Varroa. Sometimes the strips don't work. What does the brood look like? If the colony crashes form Varroa, the brood looks a little bogus. It often looks a little like foul brood. The cappings will be perforated and some of the larva will appear rotten. The rotten larva will not be ropey, however, as it does with foulbrood. Some of the immature larva will appear to be half chewed out.

------------------
    phil

The old timers called it the dissapearing disease. We call it trachial mites.
    Probably,
    Bill

Thank's Phil I'll go over & check the Larva for him.Also Bill,Trachial mites is the 1st thing I though of , but he said he Med- using the shop towel,but that not to say it worked.thank you both for the reply. mark

just doing a follow up on my posting,(that's the way we learn right?).sorry it took so long,his hives was eat up with verroa mite's & I mean bad,I went over & med- & have never seen so many mite's.after med- the rest of his hives I checked are doing o.k.( I think he must have medi-with uncle Joe's sock's or It could have been with aunt Bessie's draws,)

It would be interesting to find out what varroa treatment if any he used.Resistance to Apistan is widespread,and in some areas with coumaphos.And of course lots of the other treatments just dont work(dont want to get into that subject).It might give you a heads up warning on resistance in your area if he used strips.
    --Mike

Could be tracheal; I've never seen it but apparently the bees often fail to return to the hive and just disappear. If it is, try a diffeent strain; its better to have bees with reasonable immunity than have to keep treating all the time.

------------------
    Regards,

Robert Brenchley

RSBrenchley@aol.com
    Birmingham UK

Mike: he used garlic& powered sugar back in the fall, Robert:Tracheal mites is what I 1st thought,but he did treat with the shop towel,& mentol,I've never seen as many Varroa mites in one hive. thank's Mark