Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I'm thinking about trying FGMO. But I'm curious to know who has been using FGMO as their sole mite control method and for how long. What are the results, lost any colonies to mites?

Regards,
    Patrick

I have NOT used it as sole control. I have been using FGMO painted on the top bars in the spring, combined with wintergreen syrup in the spring and apistan in the fall. The combination seemed to work pretty well. I have some varroa, but not much and no lost colonies.

Using it on the top bars sure helps with burr comb between the boxes.

I have not tried fogging or the cotton mop filaments.

I moved some of my bees into an observaton hive where I can study them closely and I have to look a long time to find a bee with a mite. I have better luck looking for the ones dancing that aren't doing the "I found nectar" dance. After a bit of watching I've gotten so I recognize the "get it off me" dance. These bees usually have a varroa on them.

hi Pat
    I have been useing cannola oil for 5yrs along with wintergreen oil for mite control I also use eucalyptus oils.
    I am a breeder of queens had state insoection no mites =it works and lot cheaper too no pesticides either.
    good luck =Don

Hello to all.
    I have been using nothing but FGMO since mid 1996. I have lost all the colonies that were not treated, but none of those treated with FGMO. I have had some colonies that abandoned their hive, but that happens under just about any condition in which the bees are "stressed" and mites do stress the bees.
    Also, I have lost colonies under treatment but due to disease and weakness combined with robbing, but I consider that this would happen to them with any other treatment.
    Best regards.
    Dr. Rodriguez

BILLY BOB Guest

Hi Pat,

I've been using nothing but FGMO for over a year. I have lost no hives. I started with just putting a beed of FGMO on the top bars. I now have a fogger (much better) and only use it. I couldn't think of how I could have gotten by with out it.

Billy Bob

Hello to all.
    Way to go, Billy Bob. I am sure that many others will feel the same and come around and say it sooner or later. I think that there are a lot more people like you but somehow do not express their findings. I sure hope a lot more would because that would convince those who may have doubts to give it a try.
    Thanks to all of you who trust and have faith in my work.
    Best regards.
    Dr. Rodriguez

Question

Sorry if this is a repeat, but could not find the info in any of the posts....

Where do you find a fogger and how much are they? Thanks.

BILLY BOB Guest

Big Grin

Home Depot or Lowes. look in the pesticides.

I think mine was around $65.00

[This message has been edited by BILLY BOB (edited October 06, 2002).]

I bought mine at ACE HDW> on sale in a flier for $49.00. Dale

I have used it all summer and still haven't seen a mite. (8 hives, just started in May)

I started this year with 8 nucs. Used only the fogger. Now have 8 strong colonies and had a harvest of approx 10# per hive. I fogged every 2 wks and have never seen a mite. The cords are a bore. I've been wondering if they are really needed.

Dickm

Hello folks.
    Wait till you see our research records this year for hives treated with nothing but FGMO for the last three years. Y
    The report should be coming out around January of February. You will be glad tht you are using FGMO.
    This is not a paid commercial (especialy since I receive no money for my work!) It is just plain glee.
    This year we used combinations of treatments:
    FGMO fog only every once a week.
    FGMO fog and emulsion cords every 2-3 weeks.
    FGMO and emulsion soaked cords every thirty days.
    All three were quite successful!
    Best regards.
    Dr. Rodriguez

I see that this post has been been revived, so I guess I will put in my two cents.
    I have been using FGMO as a stand alone since the spring with very favorable results. I think that the studies provided by Dr. Rodriguez are thorough enough to place full confidence in FGMO. I dont fully understand the reasons that this would not be used as a stand alone treatment. Using other chemicals seems to defeat the purpose as well as add cost and time to the welfare of your bees.
    I look forward to see the latest results that Dr. Rodriguez spoke of and also to a new year of honey production and beekeeping.

Hello Folks.
    Way to go Kurt and all others. FGMO can be used successfully by itself or in combination with cotton cords soaked in FGMO emulsion. You will be delighted when my group's research report for 2002 is published in ABJ early next year. I will share with you folks in this forum also. I have submitted a manuscript to ABJ, hence I am commited to wait for its publication.
    Rest assured that FGMO work continues using several methods (stand alone being one of them) in an effort to provide as many options to beekeepers as possible.
    Again, thanks for your trust and support.
    Dr. Rodriguez

Hi All, I have been using FGMO for two years now with good results. I got busy toward the latter part of the summer and missed some foggings. I started back on schedule. IN late fall, I got worried and thought I should chedk to make sure. I treated several hives with Apistan. There were very few mites that dropped. Sorry Doc, I should have had more faith and saved my money.

------------------
    Jim

I would like to clarify that I am using the full treatment recommended by Dr.R, not just fogging. Compared to the devistation caused by the V mite last season, this year has been a great success.

Hello Jim and all others.
    There is nothing to be sorry about. Matter of fact, you ought to be glad that you did try chemical treatment. For two reasons, one, now you know that FGMO can be trusted. And two, now you have your own assessment of prices to compare the cost between the two.
    The fact that some beekeepers may be too busy to fog every week as has been proved to be the most effective means of treatment with FGMO, reinforces my recommendation of utilizing fogging and emulsion coated cords together. It gives beekeepers the opportunity to treat less often. All in all, thanks for your post and vote of confidence.
    Best regards.
    Dr. Rodriguez

Way to go Kurt. Thanks for your input.
    If you decide to try fogging alone, do it once a week in combination with screened bottom boards and you will have zero mites in the Fall. Except of course for those that foraging bees bring in when they rob infested colonies.
    Good luck with your trials and please do not hesitate to write to my personal e-mail if you have further questions.
    Best Regards.
    Dr. Rodriguez

Well, I just started using FGMO in the fogger. I already had a fogger that I have used for many years to control mosquitos (works great!) but was afraid I could not get all the pesticide out so I bought a new one (at Wal-Mart... $65) and am very glad I did. Talked with a nurse in my Dr.'s office the next day and she said, "Well, all your bees are dead." She and her husband are commercial producers! She said the oil would cause the bees to suffocate. Itried to explain fogging to her but she insisted, "You have killed every hive!" Seems to me that they are flying awfully well to be so "dead"!!!
    Haven't done a sugar roll yet but I feel certain the mites are well under control!

Hello folks.
    Before Columbus sailed due west, people kept telling him that he was going to sail straight into an abyss and drown himself and his crews.
    Well, no one got drowned and thanks to C. C. the American Continents have developed into the wealthiest population of the world.
    No one is going to kill their bees with FGMO, but on the contrary, FGMO promises to save the bees of the world in spite of the fears of those who have not dared to "sail" into the FGMO world. Unfortunately, their bees are suffering the consequences. Rest assured that those using FGMO are going to represent the Columbus, Magallanes, marching into history bearing the FGMO banners.
    Best regards.
    Dr. Rodriguez

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast