Of course this is a hot topic here, because it's a problem we all face.

One problem with reports of success and failure of a method is that we often don't have a lot of information on exactly what combination of methods was being used, what the details of the application of the method were, the frequency of the application, what the climate is like where the method was tried and what kind of success or failure rate it achieved for the user.

What if we come up with a standard way to post this so we could compare methods and combinations of methods?

For instance, when someone says they tried FGMO, did they use the cords with emulsion? Did they also fog? What frequency of fogging did they use? Did they paint it on the top bars etc?

If we could make up a form that lists all the known methods of control with checkboxes under them, and a blank for frequency next to them and a comment at the end, we could each post the combinations we have tried. e.g.

I have tried:

FGMO on top bars several times in the spring when the hive is open, a quart of wintergreen syrup (I'll have to look up the exact formula, but I should post that) for each hive in the spring and Apistan in the fall. While using this I lost no colonies to mites.

Someone else might report they used FMGO fogged once a month from April until October and lost 5 out of 10 colonies. (this is an example and not meant to say this happened)

For this to work all the important information needs to be there. If you were regressing cell size, how far were you regressed? If you are all the way regressed to 4.9, specific measurements of cells in all of the frames in the brood nest could be significant to knowing why it did or did not fail. Breed of bee would be helpful.

I assume everyone can see the value of this. I would want to hear about both successes and failures but with enough detail that I can have a chance of avoiding some of the failures.

What does everyone think of this?

I'm not asking for the information right now, perhaps Barry (sorry Barry) or someone could put together a form so we can get it together in a consistent form to compare results. I'm just asking for input on the value of such information to you.

Lightbulb

I agree, all the information needs to be told for it to do us any good.
    Clint

------------------
    Clinton Bemrose
    just South of Lansing Michigan

Hi guys -

If I'm given all the info you want included on the form, I can create it.

-Barry

Seems to me that if we start with a simple record keeping sheet then others can add to it as needed. At least it would be something to start with for the ones that want to use it.

I was thinking of it being on line and standardized so we could all use it and compare our results.

Now this sounds like a great idea. This way, we can exchange info, and most importantly, be able to retrieve info more rapidly. I vote for its own forum..

------------------
    Dale Richards
    Dal-Col Apiaries
    Drums, PA

I like the idea of ORGANIZING the info. This is a wonderful site, w/ lots of great info. "Finding that info" is the only area I would like to see changed or improved. Doing a 'Search' helps but, many times I have asked a question, to later find, the answer (info) has already been expressed 2, 3, 4 or more times already. Many thanks to all who have so patiently replied, replied, replied, and replied.

Dave W

Dave W That is my thoughts too Dave. The info is there if you can find it. Hard for newcomers to find it. My $.02 Dale