First question is on identification of mites. I have screened bottom boards and have inserted a sticky board under it to ck for mites. What I find is very small and brown, smooth on top with little legs on the bottom. I presume these are Varroa mites as some were still moving their legs while stuck to the board. After fogging with FGMO I inserted the sticky board and left it for 24hrs. I counted 20 of these little brown creatures. What shape would that put my hive at?

The only mite check counts I have read directions on doing were 24 hour checks after insertion of Apistan strips and a three day count using nothing except natural mite drop onto a sticky board without use of any chemicals. You might consider checking out the FGMO board and ask the expert. He would be much more likely to give you an educated opinion. I'm not under the impression that the MO fog kills immediately, but I could be mistaken about this.

If you had a daily mite fall of 20 without treatment, I'd have said treat, not because this represents a dangerous infestation, but because of the rate at which the mite population can increase to dangerous levels. If you're getting this sort of fall after treatment, I'd say you have little to worry about. I've also been told that FGMO is a slow killer, but if you post a question on the FGMO section of the board, Pedro Rodriguez can tell you for sure.

------------------
    Regards,

Robert Brenchley

RSBrenchley@aol.com
    Birmingham UK

How about the mite identification? Are these Varroa mites I'm seeing?

Sounds like mites to me. The way they look reminds me of tiny ticks. Kind of round flat bodies with little tiny legs up towards the head.

Yes they are Varroa

Hi Eman, Keep the fogging going.I had the same thing, as far as the count goes, but dropped to about zilch.

------------------
    Jim