Thread: Maggots

Hybrid View

I just did a sticky board test on my 6 hives. 1 had 1 colorless mite. Hooray! However 1 hive had 10 or so maggots on the board. (I used no Apistan, only left board on for 24 hrs.)These grubs were 1/4 to 3/4 of an inch long and about the thickness of the lead in a lead pencil, possibly a little larger. HELP. Do I have wax moths in my healthiest colony? What's the cure? Where do I look and what do I look for?

BILLY BOB Guest

I can't tell for sure but try looking at some pic's of small hive beatles in the larva stage. Look at your honey stores and see if they are working there way through your honey.

If it's wax moths they leave a trail of sticky silk behind them. SHB don't. Another thing wax moth larva get much bigger in the larva stageabout as big as a pencil. Maybe someone here can give you some pointers on getting rid of your SHB. I have them in some of my hives but have never had any real problems with them. All I've done so far is: 1. Stoped treating around my hives for fire ants. 2. Make sure my hives are not on any type of sandy soil. If you find out that you have SHB reply back and I'll send you everthing I have on them.

Billy Bob

Thanks for the reply. I live in Ct and didn't expect to find these hive beetles here. Am I wrong? I repeated the board test last night but didn't find any new bugs. I'll keep you informed.