I have heard of some beekeepers feeding cider vinegar to their bees. What effect does this have? Thanks.

I am new to beekeeping, but have a medical background, and many bacteria and fungi do not fare well in acidic environments. I don't know the answer to your question, but I wonder if it has anything to do with attempting control of disease pathogens??? Hope you find the answer- if you do, let us know, and I will do a search myself on this one. Thanks for the info.

Did any one ever find any info on this. and does any one know of an website or book that tells how to feed it to bees?

[This message has been edited by Got Honey? (edited July 06, 2002).]

I did several searches on this and was able to find only two references to using apple cider vinegar for feeding bees. One of them gave directions for what sounds like a hard candy to feed, and the other was what seems like an organic beekeeping site where the beekeeper said they use apple cider sugar water for feeding early in the season. I'll try to track down the sites I found and post or email them to you if you are interested.

[This message has been edited by dragonfly (edited July 09, 2002).]

I'm very interested, I would like to see how it works.

Well, I found another source mentioning the use of apple cider vinegar in bee sugar water feeding to add minerals to the feeding. I also read a suggestion to add black strap molasses to sugar water to add minerals, but on the other hand, I've read in the generally accepted manuals not to use any kind of molasses, maple syrup etc. Anyone know why? Just curious

I'm speculating here, but the pH (alkalinity/acidity) of honey is more acid and of sugar syrup is more base. Vinegar, obviously is more acid. It may be that the acidity is better for the bees. It's known that it kills a lot of fungus and bacteria that can't handle the higher acidity. Also it may counteract some of the alkalinity of any sugar syrup you've been feeding.

Dragonfly, check out POV on beesource, USDA, item 2. They talk about why certain sugars are bad for bees.

The USDA info you mention says that Pectin is bad for them. Mine eat a lot of Pears, which contain pectin. Also Cider Viniger contains a lot of pectin. Maybe thats a bad thing.

Hey, thanks for pointing me to the POV section. Lots of very helpful information. I find it really interesting that sucrose (table sugar) is superior to honey or other sugars in contributing to a longer life in worker bees. I wonder why? The amount of apple cider vinegar added to the bee feeding solution that I read about is 1-2 TBSP per gallon of feeding. I guess that's not enough to really hurt anything.

I just came from our assocition meeting. One of our members went to the Texas meeting to speak on beggining beekeeping and raising queens without grafting. His host showed them that he does not use smoke at all just straight apple cider vinegar in a spray bottle. He was amazed at how calm the bees became. Has anyone tried this?

The vinegar is just to keep the mold out of the sugar water. It can be regular vinegar or even a few drops of bleach. I wouldn't spray vinegar on the bees. Sugar water sprayed on the bees does calm the bees.

West Texas Mark