Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Varroa

>i read an article somewhere that talked about dusting with powdered sugar,it said that anything smaller than 5 microns would get under the suctioncup-like feet of the mite and they would not be able to hang on.this said that you could just liberally powder all your bees on the frames.anybody had any luck with anything like this?

I haven't tried it. What I've read says it's a good method to measure mite infestations, but not that useful for getting rid of them. It's hard to get enough suger on enough of the bees without getting it in the brood cells. If you get powdered suger in freshly hatched eggs it will kill them by dehydration.

If you just powder the bees on the bars good you'll get some mites, but it may not be enough to be that effective.

Marion Ellis has done some work with dusting bees. They run them out of the hive into a screened box to dust them. It's pretty labor intensive. It gets a ot of mites but I don't recall the overall efficiency. I know it had little appeal to me.

>Marion Ellis has done some work with dusting bees. They run them out of the hive into a screened box to dust them. It's pretty labor intensive. It gets a ot of mites but I don't recall the overall efficiency. I know it had little appeal to me.

That might work, but as you say it's a bit too labor intensive for me.