Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bait hive?

If they move in you will have bees on whatever size frames you put in the bait hive. So I use mediums because that's what I use for all my boxes.

Greetings . . .

Roger Morse discusses "bait hives" in his book, "The New Complete Guide To Beekeeping".

He says that a volume of 1.4 cubic feet is best, and that shape is not important.

He gives info about how, when, and where to place a bait hive. I find it interesting that "bees avoid new wood".

I also see "bait" as an enticement, but Im not a bee.

Dave W

It is bait for bees that are looking for a home. Not for bees that are just looking for nectar.

What should be the minimum distance between the trap and your yard if you want to catch a swarm from it, the lures instruction stated that it should be at least 250 yard, other wise it will catch swarms from other areas but not form your yard is that right? I see 250 yards away from the yard is too far away, any comments?

Regards,

Lightbulb

I place a bate hive in every yard on a post that is about 6 feet high. I put in old comb that was to be recycled for wax so if something happens to it I am not out much. I use 5 frame nuc's.

------------------
    Clinton Bemrose
    just South of Lansing Michigan

You're trying to cash in on the "optimum" things, but in the end, the bees do what they want. They may move into an empty box in your yard, but they probably will prefer to move further. 250 yards is the distance they USUALLY move to. They will move up to a mile and as short as next door. It's the same on height and size etc. The one I got a swarm in was not near any hives that I knew of and was a plastic 5 frame deep nuc with Swarm Lure in it and just blank starter strips on the frames. It was about seven feet up in a tree. It was a new box and new frames.

My guess is that I was below the optimum height. I was below the optimum volume. I was over the optimum entrance size. It would have been better to have old comb and a used box. But I still got a swarm in it. I think the lemongrass oil or the swarm lure overcomes a lot of other less than optimum conditions. But a lot of it is just being lucky enough to find the right spot.

If you can, put one in the yard and one 250 yards away. Both.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12