Question

Everything is drying out real fast in the California Gold country and the CA Buckeye is starting to bloom. I've talked to several beekeepers that have been around here for awhile, and of course everyone has a different idea of what to do and when to do it. Some say to move your bees as soon as the buckeye starts to bloom, others say you're ok until the flowers start to dry up and others say don't worry about it as long as the buckeye is not too close or abundant and there is other things for the bees to get, there usually isn't a problem.Does anyone have any suggestions, ideas or opinions on what to do about CA Buckeye? Would appreciate your comments.

I'm ignorant here. What's wrong with CA Buckeyes?

I would get away from it.I lost a whole yard to it once at the 2000 foot level.The pollen is poisonous and the emerging bees look like they have deformed wing virus.Some years there are enough other more attractive plants to keep them off the buckeye ,I have been told.After that one bad experience,I was careful to move the bees when it came into bloom.

Agreed...it is variable. Here by the coast there is barely any buckeye poisening, an occastional goofy bee. In the higher dryer foothills it can be bad. There is a lot of old literature available through the State bee labs.

Odfrank and LoggerMike, thanks for your replies. I'm kind of in a bind for locations. I put 20 hives by a large pond surrounded by blackberries that are just starting to bloom. There's two buckeyes about 1/2 mile away. I'll let you know what happens. I have found a feral hive in an oak tree surrounded by buckeye and according to another bee keeper its been there 3 years , maybe some bees are immune.
    Thanks again,
    Jim

Might not be enough buckeye to make any difference.The area I was in had hundreds of them!