I have been 100% raw vegetarian for 6 months now, for health, environmental, ethical, and spiritual reasons. I hope everyone is making a sincere attempt to keep their honey and pollen raw, by heating it to less than 104 Dgrees F. Live enzymes and phytonutrients in honey and pollen are very health supporting, while dead cooked honey is far less healthy. Cooking honey, or any food doesnt make any sence to me anymore. Animals dont cook their food, why should we.? Humans evolved to eat raw foods, and eating cooked food appears to be the source of most of the disease we see in the world today. Just thought I would offer this perspective for the benefit of anyone who hadnt considered the idea before. Take care everyone! Paul.

Humans also evolved eating meat !!!!!

And learned many tens of thousands of years ago to make fire and have been cooking meat ever since.

From the point of view of the taste of the honey, I never heat mine at all. I have been known to heat up the kitchen when I'm extracting to 100 degrees F or so.

As to raw food, it's true we destroy a lot of nutrients by cooking food. We also destroy a lot of microorganisms. Which is why, as mentioned above, we started cooking meat a very long time ago.

I would have to say we humans are not very good carnivores, because most carnivores make enzymes to destroy the harmful bacteria in the meat. We are also not very good vegaterians because we don't make the enzymes to digest cellulose, which is the major constituent in plants as most herbivores do. In fact, when it comes to digesting food we humans suck at it.

We're good at digesting honey and .... alcohol ... think I might become a 'meadetarian' ...

The old Lakota philosophy was: there are three kinds of food. Meat. Things that flavor the meat. (choke cherries, plums, wild onions, wild turnips etc.) And starvation food. (also known as vegatables and fish)

Of course they were into raw. Raw organs of most any kind are extremely nutritious, but need to be eaten very fresh.

Now since no one can afford to be a carnivore we eat a lot of starvation food.

Meat is meat, a man's got to eat! I think that was in a horror movie somewhere. I eat about 50/50 of meat and veggies. In the summertime, it seems like I live off my garden!

------------------
    Dale Richards
    Dal-Col Apiaries
    Drums, PA

Lightbulb

Hmmmmmmmm.......a rather interesting post.

Although I find some of what you say has merit,I think your logic is seriously flawed.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Animals dont cook their food, why should we.? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They don't brush their teeth,wash their arm pits or wipe their back sides either...perhaps we should follow their example here as well...??

Not likely Mate !!

That being said,I think I'll continue cooking my steak..

[This message has been edited by kimberjim (edited December 21, 2002).]

I am not going to argue with anyone about meat or cooking, as this is a place to discus bees and honey, I will only say that if anyone does fall into ill health, the first place to look for the cause is in the diet.(Juice fasting has the ability to cure allmost anything. Raw and meat free of course) Chemicle medications simply hide the underlying problems. Treat the cause, not the symptoms. Stay well everyone!