Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Default Re: apitherapy anyone?

Oh, I forgot to mention to keep a chart or notebook of your stings................like date, total number of stings to date, total of stings for that session, specific location of the stings (don't just list hand, say right or left, etc.). Make any notes for that day.... of progress, etc. You won't remember!

Your book "The Bible of Bee Venom Therapy" sounds interesting. Another book worth reading is by Charles Mraz, "Health and the Honey Bee". Mr. Mraz stung people for over 60 years.

Bee Bliss,

I have a rice bag already that I use. Good to know it will help with a sting. The sting isn't unbearable at all-I expected pain and I got it. I was surprised at how intense it was the first time, but I can definitely cowboy-up and do this repeatedly. I got an epi-pen ordered and will pick that up tomorrow.

I have all kinds of stuff I'm going to try BVT on, like the numbness I get in my hands (carpal tunnel?), knee pain, I may even experiment on my knee replacement scar and see what that does. This really fascinates me.

Lightbulb Re: apitherapy anyone?

You could always just work your hive at dusk after a cloudy, stormy day...I tried to steal some "birthday honey" from my bees last night & ended up with some unintentional BVT instead!
    The girls were soooo happy to see me that my glove was instantly covered in angry bees as soon as I touched any frame, and finally found a way to get up under my veil; lesson learned: if it was a bad day to mess with 'em, it'll be a bad night to mess with 'em...next time I'll hope for a sunshiny day! (BTW, anyone who's NOT in AHB territory, take this with a grain of salt, as my girls are "native" bees in heavy AHB country...go figure)

robherc, I haven't even learned *how* to work my hive yet. Daughter's boyfriend is going to be my teacher. I'll take the occasional offhand sting and like it. LOL

For those who choose to sting, I use a 2" round copper tube, about 8" long and two end caps Place end cap on one end tight,, then fill with water. Place other end cap on and place in freezer. When your ready to sting, place the end of tube over area for a short time, then sting. You won"t feel the sting at first, but later is another story depending on how your body will react to venom. When people come to me, they have tried it all first ,to relive there pain,and when there ready to be stung, I can see the pain there living with and glad to help.I donot charge for doing this.

YES..That would be a great big YES to an apitherapy forum...share the knowledge...share the experiences.

BTW, for those who haven't found it yet, Barry DID create an apitherapy forum for us:
    Here's The Link

Hello! I am interested in what you said. I would like to learn apitherapy but I do not know anyone here in the Philippines practicing it. How can I get a study on it? I would like to help myself and and many other people experiencing health problems in my country. I would like to here from everyone who can read it. Thank you very much. Cristina

Reposing thought this might help
    Quote Originally Posted by Velbert View Post
    Reyah Carlson
    1252 South Marshfield Road
    Bruner MO. 65620 417 278 0127

This woman Spoke at the Oklahoma State meeting this Saturday very nice woman and very interested in helping people with ailments, She her self has MS and is doing good because of of apitherapy.

http://www.reyahsbeesness.com

http://www.apitherapy.org

Yes I have been trying to find info on why my bees that I catch have started dying in the jar within 4 hrs. when were living 2 or 3 days. I have been doing bee sting therapy for 9 months on myself and using the same method- quart size jar, twigs on bottom, then honey on damp toilet tissue then toilet paper rolls vertically. I now have my own bees but for 6 months I caught them myself. I first thought they were too cool in our basement so put them in the house in a dark area where temp is 72 degrees they still died within 4 hrs. I caught about 30 and barely had 10 that were still alive enough to sting me. Any suggestions?

The plastic containers I had been using used to hold some sugar with essential oils and the bees were dying in there within a couple of hours. Probably from the leftover fumes. I now use a canning jar that has a plastic screened top. You might try a different jar to see if there is some type of buildup in the jar or a different lid to see if it is a ventilation problem. Or maybe even change the honey source. By the way, I have found that a recently dead bee can still be used for BVT.

I am curious, jsams5059, if you are using the bees during the winter. I read that winter bees have so little venom (because they are not feeding on pollen and nectar), that it's not worth doing. I just did a few stings this past weekend, and while they didn't swell as much as they usually do, it was better than nothing at all. I ended up releasing the remaining bees back into their hive in hopes that the warm weather we are having will encourage them to get out and feast on the mahonia in my yard. Then I'll catch them again and see if the venom is more potent.

my neck is killing me every time I go to the computer, but I think I will read on and wimp out and try to ergonomic my desk before I go get a beesting there. If I did, do I sting where the pain is?
    Time to be a gypsy again, 2014 will be my prep year, my bees want a better area with actual rainfall.

Apitherapy isn't something you start without a lot of thought. For most of us, it's a last ditch effort to control the unrelenting pain of something. If you are not accustomed to getting stung, the first couple of times it can be pretty intense. I've had bees for months before I got my first sting on the hand. Didn't swell very much, but itched for about a week. A month later, I decided to treat my arthritic knee. 2 stings and my knee doubled in size, and itched like crazy. 3 weeks later I did the same knee again and the opposite hip. 24 hrs later, I thought I wasn't going to make it through that weekend, I was so swollen and itchy. (I now have an Epi-pen, just in case).

My understanding now from lots of reading, is it takes about 6 weeks to get over the horrible itching part. The stings still swell for about 3 days, but nothing like they did a few months ago. (There are lots of reasons for this, that hopefully soon I can write an article and post here). Depending on what you are treating, it may take a year for things to improve.

So as to your question on "where to sting", yes, start where it hurts (unless that means an eye, ear, lip or other sensitive area. Those are all a No, never). After that, the nerves along the back are also key to helping alleviate the pain.

An apitherapist would tell people:

- sting where the pain is.
    - sting along the appropriate area of the spine (on or along side)
    - sting painful trigger areas along the nerve meridians (find them with your thumb pressing firmly, it hurts!)
    - sting on the scars (about 1 inch apart eventually)

Ruthiesbees is correct about not ever stinging the eye or ear. The apitherapist had told us that. Test stings should be done to check for allergy.

She also told us to start out gradually in the larger fleshed areas and gradually go to the smaller areas like fingers, toes, hands and feet. We were told to build downward to that area. In other words, gradually stinging closer and closer to the small areas.

If apitherapy is done as an apitherapist recommends (2 to 3x a week gradually increasing stings), the immunity starts at about 2 weeks. Chart them.

I am the allergic type. So I am not rushing, I have a lot of pain not too far from my right ear, neck above collarbone extending toward center of base of skull, and that is just too close for comfort to treat I think. I have taken several stings since I started keeping bees almost 3 years ago, but I have neither a doctor nor an epi pen, so I'm thinking neck brace for my desk or fix the ergonomics of it would be better. I do have a lot of aches in knees and elbows today but I really think it is weather for now... Still I was curious, and if I was in the condition of some people on this thread AND had an epi pen, i would certainly give it a try.

Thank you for the information everyone
    Time to be a gypsy again, 2014 will be my prep year, my bees want a better area with actual rainfall.