Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Arrow

I've hardly seen any discussion on apitherapy on this board. Why is that do you suppose? I'd be willing to create a separate forum for it but not sure anything would happen. Are there lurkers out there that would enter into discussion should this new forum happen? Anyone with firsthand experience with apitherapy?

- Barry

[size="1"][ January 23, 2007, 10:07 PM: Message edited by: Barry ][/size]
    Regards, Barry

Barry

I have no expereience but have an interest. Would like to see it happen. Have a friend in lots of pain and nothing else seems to have done much good so far.

Ray
    Back To The Future

I had a problem with my neck a year and a half ago that got to the point that I would sting myself (with a bee).

It gave a relief that lasted for a few days. I worked myself up to three stings in that area and the relief would last for a little over a week. The problem cleared up after about four months. I can not say what finally caused the healing, different pillow, sleeping habits, etc.

Once the neck stopped tensing up it seemed to relax to the point that it finally realigned and the pain went away.
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

My concerns are liability. Is any level of
    training required?? Who is responsible if
    a "patient" goes into anaphylactic shock??

I use 6 stings about every 6 weeks for back pain. I have 3 degenerated discs. Started with 6 stings per week, 3 years ago. Have used stings for 30 yrs for calcium deposits in joints.

I have used honey on a skin rash and it stops the itching and seems to help clear it up. Apply a small amount 2 or 3 time a day.

I'm interested in the idea of apitherapy, but know virtually nothing and would not have anything to contribute to a separate forum. I have used honey on wounds (there are several threads on this in "Everything Honey") but I'm not sure that is what you mean.
    “The keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.” -Henry David Thoreau

I'm with Bruce on this one. I have thought about it then I think what if they find out they are allergic to bees during a session and worse its a child. Or any number of problems, what if the courts say we are administering health care.
    ;) Good Day Craig W.<br /><a href=\"http://www.weaversproduce.mysite.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.weaversproduce.mysite.com</a>

I fell of a ledge while skirting a difficult path in the fall of 1994 with a chainsaw in one hand and a splitting maul in the other. I ended up on the table 3 weeks later with a neurosurgeon trying to undo what I did. After the surgery I was told all the things I would never do, including ride 8 hours a day in a vehicle, have feeling in the toes on my left foot, lift bee hives etc. etc. etc. The 1st 2 years were painful days and an hour or so waiting for painkillers like Codeine and Darvaset to kick in spent laying where I dropped when I tried do something I shouldn't. I read a study on Apitherapy that was done on back surgery patients, I think out of the University of Montanna. They found that people with conditions simlar to mine underwent apitherapy over a period of a couple of months. 80% of the respondents had incredible results with not further back problems over a period of 5 yrs with just the orginal treatments. 20% percent had to be retreated and most had continued success over a 10 year period.

Shortly after that I went to one of Pat Wagners seminars and after sitting for an hour through the program in agony I agreed to give it a try. Took my 1st. 6 stings and within 15 minutes I had complete relief. My wife continued to administer Apitherapy (a little too zealously sometimes). Over the next year. My moments on the floor became brief, about 5-10 minutes after being stung I was back on my feet and in motion, with almost complete relief.

My research on the subject told me this was why:

1) Bee Venom, which has no medicinal value intself causes a reaction in the body which procduces the following effects.

a) Body produces cortisol (the natural hydrocortisone) which is like getting the shot but much more effective.

b) Also makes the body produce anti-inflamatories which treat the both the sting damage and everything else in the area.

c) Body produces melotonin (I think that's the one) which helps to break down and/or soften scar tissue.

13 years later I'm doing all the things I was told I wouldn't be and with very minimal problems. I need a round of therapy about every 2 years but the results for me have been quite remarkable.

[size="1"][ January 24, 2007, 07:41 PM: Message edited by: Joel ][/size]

Wow...... Brutal Joel, sorry to hear of your
    misfortune. I am convinced by your experience
    and many I've read that it does indeed work.
    Enough so I am going to try it on my tennis
    elbow, a simple malady, but it sure can be
    debilitating at times.

My concerns remain for doing it for others.

I would be concerned about legalities if I planned on becoming Dr. Bee. I think the forum might get the response required to be able to teach us enough about it that we can educate friends and family. Then if they want to seek out a medical doctor or practioner, they may do so and be informed enough to ask questions and make a decision. Those who try to becomr Dr. Bee could do so at their own risk!

Ray
    Back To The Future

Bill Jackson Guest

I have problems with an elbow, Maybe i'll give my girls a go this summer.

I would have never thought a couple years ago I would self inflict stings!

American Apitherapy Society is at apitherapy.org

I know a guy who sells a few bees every week to another guy to take home and "administer" his own "shots"?

How's he liable?

My "Elmer", became a bee keeper to releive pain from cronic pain.
    Look at, "BeewellTherapy.com" just another look .

My "Elmer", became a bee keeper to releive pain from cronic pain.
    Look at, "BeewellTherapy.com" just another look .

Isn't apitherapy the use of honeybee products in health care? So it can be anything from using honey, propolis, to bee stings. A more thorough definition from dictionary.com is as follows:

"Apitherapy is the medical use of honeybee products. This can include the use of honey, pollen, propolis, royal jelly, and bee venom.
    Most claims of apitherapy have not been proved to the scientific standards of evidence-based medicine and are anecdotal in nature. A wide variety of conditions and diseases have been suggested as candidates for apitherapy, the most well-known being bee venom therapy for autoimmune diseases and multiple sclerosis."

It would be nice if the "scientific" community would take these things more seriously and stop dismissing such things as simply anecdotal. So a new forum to discuss any thing about this or maybe even any new research that is being done about it would also be nice. Why is it that even though some promising research has been done on honeybee products, that there still does not seem to be anybody who cares too much for it in the scientific/medical community? Is it just me, or do you all feel that there should be more serious research and implementation of the results that are found through such research?

I had a bad case of tendonitis in the elbow. Talked to a bee keeper he recommended stings. It worked. Guess that is why I am now hooked on bee keeping. Would love to see a topic section related to this.
    larry

Why is it that even though some promising research has been done on honeybee products, that there still does not seem to be anybody who cares too much for it in the scientific/medical community? Is it just me, or do you all feel that there should be more serious research and implementation of the results that are found through such research?
    Follow the money. Apitherapy, just like many natural/herbal remedies, does not hold the promise of patented, designer-drugs that produce big-money results. And, regarding bee stings specifically, it would be difficult to do a proper, double-blind study of their effectiveness, since that would require development of bees that could sting with a placebo venom instead of regular venom!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast