Thread: Ant problems

I'm feeling like a real dummy! I pulled some frames of honey and set them in a spare super body in the garage to store them until I could pull frames from another hive. When I happened to peek at the frames an hour ago, I had a nice line of ants marching into the super where the frames were being stored. Can frames of honey be frozen while waiting to extract?

I just don't know what to do to get the ants entirely out of the uncapped cells (I'll probably have to strain it several times now) so I'm trying to figure out my best way to save my frames.

freeze them. otherwise you'll find wax moths have ruined your comb and honey. I don't know if freezing will stop the ants but they will march very, very slowly.

Problem with freezing them you then have to warm them up so you can extract. The ants should be dead by freezing. Try to set up a hot house so you can warm up the honey when you take it out of the freezer. Be careful though that condensation does not get on the comb since that might start to cause the honey to ferment later on. A small fan that moves air around should work ok for you. A hot house might not let the condensation stay long so you should be ok. You can make a hot house out of stirofome insulation pannels. Four sides and a top. Have a light bulb inside for heat, on the bottom and the small fan to move the warm air around. Keep an eye on the temp though, don't let it get to hot. That way you won't melt the wax. I used a 60 - 75 watt bulb and within 8 hours the honey was warm. Good luck and sorry about the ants.
    Dan

[This message has been edited by bjerm2 (edited August 17, 2004).]

I would just extract, ants and all. You have to filter it anyway. It won't need any additional filtering. And besides, ants aren't bad for you.

>And besides, ants aren't bad for you.

They did used to sell candy with ants inside... Hmmm... honey covered ants. I dunno, I keep getting the image of the baboon sitting next to the termite hill poking a stick into it, extracting bugs and eating them. Jeesh.

Well seeing its all natural you could charge more for honey covered ants!!!!

That would be crunchy honey. Hey you might be onto something.

Dan

I was going to extract soon anyway. I was waiting to pull a few more frames from another hive in the next weekend or two and do them all at the same time. I decided not to freeze to avoid condensation/fermentation problems, and I have stored the frames in a seal-tight cooler. I worked for a while to remove as many of the ants as possible from the frames, and I will just filter the honey an additional passing to remove any remaining ants. While I'm not squeemish about ants in my honey, we give away honey as part of Christmas baskets and it might taint the gift if they see an ant doing the backstroke inside the jar!! Thanx for everyone's help!

What makes me a bit squeemish is to see that squished larva juice on the edge of the frame when I scrape off the brood. Any ideas as to what impact it makes on the honey?

I doubt small amounts would change the flavor. But it would raise the moisture level as larva "juice" is mostly all water.

[This message has been edited by GaSteve (edited August 19, 2004).]

Just learned a tip against ants visits in the hive (not used yet, can't confirm). Cucumber peels in the inner cover, where ants crawl to visit the hive usually. If you try, let me know.
    It might also work for stored super visited by ants.

This is probably a dumb ? but would the bees drive them out if you put them back on the hive?