It's been warm for the past couple days and the bees have been flying. Was near 60 yesterday and was in the 60's again today when the silver maple started blooming. The bees weren't bringing any pollen back yesterday but were bringing back lots of yellow pollen today and the trees in the yard were just humming. This has got to be one of the best sights and sounds of the coming spring.

I did make it around to all my hives over the last to days to check on them and place pollen patties (I took a few pictures). Most were doing pretty well and were starting to raise fair amounts of brood.

-Tim

Good pics Tim. Your Carnolians look just like mine. They must be related? All mine were bringing in light yellow colored pollen today too.
    Todd Zeiner

It's possible. The hive pictured was one of my breeder queens I brought back from Sue's II class last year.

-Tim

One more day for the bees, and then back to winter..

This morning. Schools closed. Blizzard conditions. Ugly. I don't think I'll be doing any hive work for a while.
    Linux - World domination through world cooperation

Hey tarheit,
    One picture with the bees covering the top of the frames has a nearly perfectly round "hole" in the mass of bees. Just curious -- what's that about?
    Triangle Bees

Got in all my hives yesterday. Noticed the yellow pollen grains. Great sign! Hives are building up nicely. Looks like I'll be able to do enough splits to cover my winter losses.

Bjorn, back to winter? We had 85 deg weather here and it looks like it will be warm until april 15th, the normal last frost date...

(looking for the smilie that is sticking it's tongue out...)

Good Morning, Fordguy

[img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I noticed that 'hole' too when I pulled the picture up on the computer. I can't see any reason for it, there was nothing different on the top bars. It did have an old inner cover so it's possible some comb or propolis protruded in that area keeping the bees out. I'd have to check when I get home tonight if the warm weather holds out that long and it's not raining.

-Tim

Tim,

For the past 3 days I've enjoyed watching my bees bringing back loads of yellow pollen at a frantic pace. The maples have really opened up today I noticed. Getting a horrible case of spring fever!

Good pics.... very nice site you have.
    To everything there is a season....

Went through the hives Sunday and the girls were bringing in the lots of pale yellow pollen while I helped them clean house.