Thumbs down

Today, I started the once annual super duper complete shed clean up. Everything that is good, gets put where it can be found again, and everything that is no good gets disposed of.

In the process, I decided to disassemble a good sized pile of old pallets that were in my way. The greenhouse supply places ship everything on pallets, and they don't want them back.

After two hours of sweat, crushed fingers, and general agony, I have about a half dozen useable boards and about a half ton of really nice oak fire wood. The few boards that are useable are really heavy and will make a super that weights about 40 pounds.

I've learned a valuable lesson. For me, old pallets aren't hives, and around my place, they never will be.
    Linux - World domination through world cooperation

They make a great fire, but you don't have to disassemble them for that. Just stack them up.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

>For me, old pallets aren't hives, and around my place, they never will be.

But they do make great roofs, bottomboards and innercovers.

man I got 1000's of pallets on my farm, if you look for those guys who buy pallets and resell them, they usually pay 2.50 for each pallet. Check out wood crate places or ask around, they usually know somebody.

Danny
    Happiness is something final and complete in itself, as being the aim and end of all practical activities whatever .... Happiness then we define as the active exercise of the mind in conformity with perfect goodness or virtue.

I used to work for a newspaper I have been making all my migratory tops out of used pallets and I used the alluminum printing plates to cover them paint them white keeps the water from dripping down between the boards works pretty good. Only exspense is the staples and the glue and paint.

The best way I've found to use pallets is, to saw off the planks from the 2X4's instead of prying all those da#mn nails out. You usually end up splitting alot of boards with a crow bar anyway. I either burn the parts with all the nails, or use them "creatively". We get some brand spanking new smooth pallets here with computer equipment on them and you can use that wood for anything. What I use old or new planks mostly for are strips of wood either on inner covers, bottom boards, and telescoping covers, imire shims, double screen boards, and entrance reducers.
    Old pallets are good for bottom boards and lids as said, but again my pryin' days are over.

Interior paneling and old pallets make good inner covers.