Hello people !
    Well here is my story.
    I'm far away from home at the moment (at sea)
    and the day after I left home one of my 2 hives swarmed and settled close to the hive. My wife (never been into a hive before !), after taking some advice from a local beekeeper, coped very well and caught the bulk of the swarm (a big one). As I dont have the space or the equipment to make up a third hive for the swarm she then went through the original swarmed hive and cut out all the queen cells (there were a lot apparently -maybe 20 !) and then shook the swarm into the brood box. A small cluster where the swarm had settled still sits there though.
    the question is - will they swarm again ? I will be home in 2 weeks and can try to sort this out. At the moment I'm thinking of reqeening as the queen was only a year old and was on brood and a half - I feel the strain is prone to swarming as its a regular occurence each year more or less.
    I have 3 years experience in beekeeping.
    Any advice, hints, tips greatly appreciated
    Thankyou

It's extremely hard to get the last few bees, don't worry about them. They may or may not try to swarm again, it depends on the strain and the circumstances. If you find them building cells again it might be better to split them if you can get hold of the extra equipment. Meanwhile give them as much space as you can.

------------------
    Regards,

Robert Brenchley

RSBrenchley@aol.com
    Birmingham UK

Thanks for that- the brood is one deep and one shallow in a WBC hive. I dont know why they swarmed, but I suspect its the strain. I really should of checked them before I left home !
    Not much I can do about it here (I'm on an oil rig) untill I get home, but I plan to buy a new mated queen from the same source I got the queen in my other hive (thornes) and hopefuly that will help for next years season.
    by the way - my other hive is doing extremely well this year !

Paul