I've been a lurker on this board for a while. I really enjoy reading it but never had a good question so I never registered before. Well, I ran into something today that I hope someone can shed some light on so I registered and here I am.
    Here's the story: It's been a wet miserable spring here and the bees have not faired well. This weekend was the first time the weather was good enough to really get a look inside the hives.I had this one hive that I was concerned about. Very weak and the bees when they could fly didn't act very enthusiastic. Opened them up and there was 3 frames of bees. First frame I took out I took one look and said oh my laying workers. A patch of sealed worker brood half the size of my hand, larva same amount and eggs same amount. Sealed brood looked good, larva looked good one to a cell, all stages of development from very small to ready to cap. So far great but the eggs, 2 to 5 eggs in a cell and some eggs laying on their side. No spotty brood, it was a good solid pattern. The next frame solid pattern of capped worker brood albeit a small pattern. Last frame there's the queen. A nice fat one too. Easy to see no mistaking her. I never saw one drone cell in the hive and no queen cells either. I can't believe there could have been a supercedure this early and especially after seeing that big fat queen. None of the hives have any drones yet for a virgin to mate with anyway. So if they're not queenless or never have been whats with the multiple eggs in the cells. I was going to unite them with another weak hive but decided to wait a few days and give it a think. Can anybody enlighten me.
    One other thing allthough I think it's unrelated. There was a thin fringe of dead brood on one frame. We had some pretty cold weather here a week ago and I think they were chilled.
    What's your diagnosis?

"So if they're not queenless or never have been whats with the multiple eggs in the cells."

It sounds like a queen that is just starting to ramp up on the egg laying. Nothing unsual here. She's fine.
    "I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Adam Savage

"It sounds like a queen that is just starting to ramp up on the egg laying. Nothing unsual here. She's fine"
    Really, I've never seen more then one egg in a cell except with laying workers. How common is this?

>How common is this?

I see doubles all the time from queens that are just starting to lay.

http://www.beesource.com/cgi-bin/ubb...c;f=1;t=005717
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I agree with Michael B. And Peppjam, donÂ’t sound like you have any problems I would just set back and let them go, if the queen looks healthy and you have solid brood patterns without a lot of drone cells in the middle of the frames which is what you will see if you have laying workers, the hive will take off soon. Make sure you give that fat juicy queen room to work.
    The Busy Bee teaches two lessons: One is not to be idle and the other is not to get stung.

"I see doubles all the time from queens that are just starting to lay"

Not many doubles but a lot of 3s,4s, and 5s. Every cell with eggs like this. Seemed strange to me. I assume they must distribute them out as I saw no double larvae like I have seen with laying workers.
    You live and learn! thanks for the input.

As others said. Fairly common when queen kicks it in. Workers appear to deal with this as I've noticed eggs on the SBB insert board during this period apparently from workers pulling extras out and dropping some in the process.

If you have an identifiable queen and you're getting worker brood, I wouldn't worry about it.

If I saw 3s and 4s, I'd be looking for a queen, but you already found her.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF