Thread: Bee Suit

I don't get along well when it's hot! I cheaped out and got a couple of lab coverals that are made out of a woven plastic. Dirt cheap, like I said, but they don't breath and I just about die when I wear them. I'm also not comfortable with the idea of going suitless!
    What is a recommendation for a very cool bee suit...after all, style is everything!

Brian

BILLY BOB Guest

Most beekeepers get by with plan cloths. Long pants and long sleeve shirts. Cotton is the coolest material out there. I wear docker pants (puritan is the brand name). They sell for about $12 at Wal-Mart. They are tightly woven and the bees have a hard time stinging through them. I do where a short sleeve shirt with a T-shirt underneath, but you could wear a long sleeve shirt. If you chose to use plan cloths just make sure you buy the ones with light colors. This by no means will prevent you from ever getting a sting, but it will keep it to a bear minimum, while letting you work your bees comfortably. I may get one sting while working all of my colonies (25) in a day, and I have short sleeves. So you should get by just fine.

I do have a full bee suit. I use it when I do removals and for bad days when I do not have a choice but work the ladies. They do come in handy from time to time.

BB

The only suit that I know of that feels at all like it breaths is the Golden Bee Products suit. The rest are all smothering hot.

Where I worked when I got hurt we had kevelar sleeves to keep from getting cuts. So I wear short sleeves shirt with long pants with these sleeves on. I always wear a veil but gloves are optional.