Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

With some fruits it's more promising than other, but for the most part, no. An apple or pear tree from a seedling probably won't produce fruit at all, and if it does it won't resemble the parent. When you eat a red delicious apple it's from a cutting from a cutting (etc.) from the original red delicious tree. It is not from a seed. Most apple trees from seeds that do produce fruit, it is inedible. But sometimes you get a really pleasant surprise.

Lincoln, Do a search for "GARDEN WEB".

Thanks! Wow! , Russ, the Garden Web is an enormous source for everything planted. I can see that I have a lot to catch up on.

By the way Michael, I remember a little bit of farmer lure attributed to my grandfather: The apple fruit has several sections within the core with seed. The section that has only one seed is the true offspring ot fhe parent tree. I wonder if there is any truth to this, or just an old wives tale.

------------------
    Linc

>By the way Michael, I remember a little bit of farmer lure attributed to my grandfather: The apple fruit has several sections within the core with seed. The section that has only one seed is the true offspring ot fhe parent tree. I wonder if there is any truth to this, or just an old wives tale.

I hadn't heard this. I know a lot of the old apple trees in this country used be from the seed planted by Johnny Appleseed and they varied a lot. He got his seed from the cider mills. So you mean they said that the section with one seed would be the same kind of apples as the parent?

-Yup, he claimed that was the only way to be sure you got a new apple tree the same as the parent tree.

By the way, how do you set preferences so that the text you are responding to remains within the reply window? I can see that others are managing this with the typical < to indicate previous text.

------------------
    Linc

I don't know what everyone else does, but I copy it and paste it and put the > in myself.

>>I don't know what everyone else does, but I copy it and paste it and put the > in myself.

Ditto.

Bill