Hybrid View

I just checked my new hives today, it was'nt the best day as it is only about 60 degrees here today but it is not going to get better for a few days.My new hives are from packages started about 10 days ago. I also started these hives on all permacomb. I saw larva and some pollen, and they must be getting necter from some place as I saw clear fluid in the combs. They will not take sugar syrup so it must be comming from the flowers. I did not keep the hive open very long because of the cold, but to someone who knows little it looked o.k. My question, I have 10 permacomb spacing in the brood box which seems crowded but I guess 10 spacing is o.k. for brood. I had to use extra care getting the permacomb out of the hive without smashing bees. The hive tool was o.k. to lift one end but it seemed to get wedged in the hive awful easy. Do I need to buy a frame grip to make this easier?

A frame grip would make it easier but I would, after they get going, space the frames to be only 9 instead of 10. The reason is that as they expand you will have bees that will be between the frames and will get rolled anyway. This might cause you to lose a queen if she happens to be near the frame your trying to pull out. For safety always pull out the outer frames, queen should not be there but then again bees don't read all the books.
    As far as sugar syrup I would give the 2 sugars to one water (weight or volume does not matter) for 3 weeks. By that time they should be well established.
    Good luck.
    Dan

Lost in Bees,
    After your hives get a little older, and coated with propolis, and other gooey bee products, you can lift one end of the frame, and it will kind of stay there, and then you can lift the other. I bought one of those frame grips, but hardly ever use it anymore. It always seems that the frames are glued down and together so much that I end up breaking them free with the hive tool, and lifting them up. You can get one if you want, but I am not so impressed with mine.

Is the permacomb the fully man-made, drawn plastic comb? I've always wondered how that would work. It just seems like the bees wouldn't like it. Let me know how things pan out...

I like the frame grips with the PermaComb, but then I don't usually use the spacers and I use the "molded" handle kind of grip. I use the grip to space them and I can put ten frames and a follower board in one ten frame box.

Ten frames works fine in the brood chamber.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Jon, yes the permacomb is drawn plastic comb. It seems they have accepted it because the queen is laying in it. I heated mine in the oven at 200 degrees and then rubbed it with bees wax. Before I dumped the package of bees in I sprayed it with sugar water mixed with H.B.H. I tried to dip it in wax like M. Bush has done but the only stove we have is in the kitchen of our new house. It is not a inside the house job! Mike was coating to get small cell, I just wanted it to be accepted.

>Is the permacomb the fully man-made, drawn plastic comb? I've always wondered how that would work.

http://www.beesource.com/ubb/Forum12/HTML/000049.html

Pack a lunch.
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

I know people often say to run 10 frames in the brood chamber but I like 9...squish fewer bees. I also like a frame grip for sure. I loosen frames with hive tool and then pull straight up with the grips. Seems like it is less jerky and I roll fewer bees