I have a split that is only about 4 frames of bees and brood. Since our flow is over and they really don't have any stores, I put a frame feeder of 1:1 sugar water in.

There must have been robber bees in the hive when I put the feeder in, because in about an hour robbing was in full force. The robbers weren't coming from my other hives, but were heading south.

I put on a robber screen. I thought that I would take the screen off in the evening to let the robber bees go home. I must have got there too late because when I went to take the screen off, no bees left, so I put it back on.

It seems to take the bees in the hive a few days to figure out where the exit hole is. A lot of bees looked like they wanted out, but I let them learn where the opening was.

After a few days, I opened the hive and was surprised how many bees were in there. It didn't look like robbing was going on anymore. It got me wondering whether a bunch of robber bees decided to just stay and make my hive their home.

Let's say I put out a hive with a queen and a couple of frames of bees with a feeder on it and let robbing start in earnest. Then after a few thousand robber bees (from my neighbors hives) are in there, I block off the entrance with a robber screen. I wonder if the robbers would stay after a few days or whether field bees always go home.
    Bruce

I did about the same thing, but I moved them more than 5 miles so they couldn't go home. They stayed and made the hive stronger. It's been 2 weeks now and they are doing fine.

Ain't that bee rustlin'? Round here we lench bee rustlers...

Only if you get caught. Nobody ever been lenched but what got caught.

Cool

Iddee, inspect the bees carefully. If you see any little bee brands on the bee's butts, better head for the hills.

I'm calling out the bee possie to come round all you low-life bee rustlers up and have a good lynching [img]smile.gif[/img] .

peggjam
    "I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Adam Savage

I don't really want my neighbors bees, and usually robber bees are my own, but I was curious if the extra bees used to be robbers that couldn't find their way back out and just decided to stay.
    Bruce

Sound to me like they got what they had coming to them. The robbers have now been incarcerated and rehabilitated to lead truly productive lives.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

>Sound to me like they got what they had coming to them. The robbers have now been incarcerated and rehabilitated to lead truly productive lives.

Yep. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF