Thread: Split Swarmed

I split my hive 17 days ago, I was waiting for them to requeen. I had seen a couple of queen cells in the new split, well yesterday the hive swarmed? I was not expecting this. So, I figured the bees produced 2 queens and that's why they swarmed.
    So I waited til' evening and opened the new hive there was no queen (that I could find) and no eggs, just empty cells. What should I do? And why did the hive swarm? Weird!!!!!

Hi,

Which state are you in?

Well one thing with bees is you never know what they'll do next. With out seeing whats going on I'll give you two options.

1. Recombine the two and split later (or not, based on your season)

2.Assuming the parent is still queenright try this. The split lost its population with the swarm and needs a queen. I suspect the swarm was a virgin swarm. The virgin went to mate and the girls decided to go too. I don't know if you can spot a virgin in the split so I'll try to keep things simple as possible.

1. Switch the two colonies locations with each other, thus the split gets the parents feild force. You will need them for cell production as the split lost its population.
    2.With the above done remove one frame containing eggs from the parent. I say eggs as you will need young larae and the bees may not take to them immediately thus it guards against too old a larvae. Shake all the bees off. Take a empty frame from the split shaking all the bees off. Give the empty to the parent and the eggs to the split. Feed the split and MAKE SURE THE SPLIT HAS ONE FRAME OF POLLEN (get from parent if possible.

You now are set up to raise a queen. If the split has a virgin she will fly and mate and you will see brood soon. If there is no virgin you will see cells being drawn. You will have to decide which option is best for you. Good luck. If you have more questions ask.

Clay

Louisiana

Hi,

How do you setup brood chambers down there? Singles, doubles, triple boxes?

Clay

Well it's only my second year, but I was going to use 2 deep brood chambers, now I'm reconsidering going back to one, seems better.

Same thing happened to me last year. I left the two for a month; one queen mated and started laying, the other disappeared. I then recombined them. It was unexpected, and sneaking into my irascible neighbour's garden to get the swarm back was unforgettable; it was on scrap iron in the bottom of a hedge, and took some time to get out. But it was OK in the end, and given that queens don't always mate successfuly, perhaps it was no bad thing.

------------------
    Regards,

Robert Brenchley

RSBrenchley@aol.com
    Birmingham UK