For those of us on 8 frame equipment:

Just received my order of slatted racks from Betterbee. For the first time they are available for eight frame equipment. They appear to fit fine with my Brushy Mountain 8 frame woodenware...can't wait to install them.

They say the queen is more likely to lay all the way down to the very bottom of the lower brood frames when using the racks. Also I am hoping the racks will help prevent swarming, by alleviating the spring and summer congestion; aid ventilation during those hot humid days and minimize drafts in winter.
    The slats run paralell to your frames, so as not to impede with mite drop to the Screen Bottom Board.
    Here is hoping! Cheers, D

Addendum to the above statement...the fit on my Brushy Mtn. equipment is not a perfect match, the slatted racks will need to be shaved down a bit side to side and a wee bit front to back.

It's always something! still glad to have them. Cheers D

I have a question for slatted rack for 8 frame hives. hope it is okay to ask it here..

Is the slatted rack useful if one puts 9 frames in an 8 frame hive body after thinning the frame end bars? or will the bees build burr comb or propolise it? (I guess the symmetry will be off 9 frames over 8 slots)

Thanks
    There is no greater satisfaction than the satisfaction of a job well done.

>s the slatted rack useful if one puts 9 frames in an 8 frame hive body after thinning the frame end bars?

A typical slatted rack (pre SSB days) had the slats running the opposite direction of the frames. Betterbee decided it would make sense to line the slats up with the frames in order to maximize mite fall. I don't think it really matters. I have them running both ways and have done all kinds of spacing with no problems. I don't think that many mites fall through the SBB anyway.

>Addendum to the above statement...the fit on my Brushy Mtn. equipment is not a perfect match,

The Brushy Mt hive is 13 3/4". The Better bee slatted rack is 14". An 1/8" sticking out won't hurt anything though.

> Also I am hoping the racks will help prevent swarming, by alleviating the spring and summer congestion

Lot's of things, including the ventilation and cluster space you'll get from the slatted rack, help. I would not count on it to prevent swarming. Keep the brood nest open and room in the supers.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Donna Marie, I use slatted racks on all my hives and I think that all the benefits you mentioned will be realized. However, as MB stated, you will still have to use swarm management techniques. By the way, you have a very nice web site.
    Garry

Thank you everyone, I think quality control will insist on attempting to correct the rack overage during a session with the table saw.

I will also repeat the procedure I used last year. My spring management includes reversing the empty bottom brood box to the top and introducing a few frames of small cell foundation in, while rotating empty drawn comb out...and a pep talk to the girls on the advantages of a lovely beeyard versus the perils of feral living.

Hope it works...Cheers D