Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Source for identifying bees by appearance?

4K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  naturebee 
#1 ·
Does anyone know of any good source to aid in the identification of honey bee races in reference to physical appearance? I realize this (often) can’t be done with great accuracy, but it would help to some degree with a minor amount of identification. I’ve seen text with black and white drawings, neither of which was extremely helpful. I’m looking for something along the lines of good photographs of specific races.

My main reason for interest is because there has been a sudden boom of forger bees in my area, where there essentially was a dearth previously. I wanted to try to figure out if a neighbor might have started a hive or if I’m simply dealing with naturalized bees. I’m guessing that a neighbor started a hive, as the bees appear healthy in numbers and I can’t spot any mites piggy-backing (I’m not going to catch some for a sugar roll). Unfortunately capturing a few bees and attempting to track the position of the hive would be rather difficult for one such as myself with no experience doing so over a populated residential area.

(Any once interested can see a picture of one of the more photogenic bees by clicking here)

#3 ·
This is in keeping with my question of the day: I noticed some extra-large bees by my home hives the other day, but didn't pay much attention. Today, I went out to the strawberry fields to those hive and there were masses of these bees that quite obviously are not my bees. They look the same, but are about 1 1/2 to 2 times as big. They are not bumbles, masons, or anything like that. They look like a honeybee. What the heck are these things and will they endanger me hives? My bees don't seem to be too upset about these interlopers, but I'm a little worried after my baldfaced hornet fiasco of last year.

#7 ·
I too am a bit stumped by the German(?) in that web page and the altavista translator does not seem to clear things up much. Of the three pictures of differing types of bees, the color richness/quality is rather poor to really discern anything.

#10 ·
No, naturebee. It looks just like a honey bee. I tried to get a pic yesterday at my home hives, but there was only one and the bugger was too fast for me. It's quite obvious it's an interloper because although my girls aren't reacting negatively to it, it approaches the hive very tentatively and appears extremely nervous. It really does look just like a honeybee and at first I thought it was a very large drone, but this is much larger than any drone could be. It's hum is exponentially deeper and louder as well. Today is a very dank, windy day in the 50's only, so no one--including the interlopers--was flying when I went to the strawberry fields to refill the feeders. I'll carry my camera with me on the next sunny day and see if I can get a shot.

#11 ·
You said "large drone", "deeper and louder",
and "acts nervous".
This makes me think first of a carpenter bee:
http://www.everythingabout.net/articles/biology/animals/arthropods/insects/bees/carpenter_bee/carpenter_bee.html

A google image search will yield more pictures
for reference.

If the bee is seen around the same hive all the
time, you may want to make a careful inspection
of the woodenware, paying careful attention to
the flat surface at the top of the handholds
cut into the sides of the boxes. Multiple
solitary bees can nest in a hole made by a
carpenter bee, but I can't think of any
common ones other than "carpenter" that match
your description.

#12 ·
From the picture, Jim, except for its green eyes, I thought maybe you had it. But apparently that pic is of a tropical carpenter bee. I thought the c-bees by us were shiny black and further reading confirms that they are. It also goes on to say, ". . .often confused with bumblebees. However, carpenter bees are larger, have bright yellow, orange, or white hairs on their thorax, and have shiny black abdomens." These bees are no way as large as a bumblebee. Only about 1 1/2 to 2 times the size of a honeybee. Can't wait to get a photo of these things so you guys don't think I'm totally crazy. . .

#15 ·
Tia,
It played for me, and boy am I sorry it did. It was a massacre, easily the saddest and most horrific things to see happen to a bee hive. I just wish I knew how I could prevent such a horrible thing it it started to happen to my hive.

#16 ·
Wow! I've never heard of that happening before. My brother calls those giant hornets "cicada killers." I didn't realize they were gregarious.

Would one of those metal Dadant-style entrance reducers with all the holes in it stop them? I would think it would, as the hornets probably wouldn't be able to get through the holes. How about a queen excluder on the bottom board?

Anyone have any idea how often this kind of thing happens? I'd guess not very often, as we'd have heard much more about it by now.

-Pete

#17 ·
I think this must be the film I saw last year when I was having trouble with the baldfaced hornets. This film was of those Japanese hornets, right? If so, that's not what's hanging around my hives (thank God). Edit addition: Finally got it to play. Yes, this is the one I saw last year. Makes me cry every time I see it, but fortunately, this isn't what I'm dealing with. The hornets in this film are five times as big as a honey bee--and they're hornets. The ones I'm seeing are definitely a type of bee, blunt bodies like drones have, about 1 1/2 to 2 times as large as a honeybee. Hope I can get a photo with one side by side with one of my girls so you can see the comparison. Hope it's sunny on Monday when I got back to feed them again.

#19 ·
Hi,
I was told they are called european hornets, I saw them work over a hive once. they come in hundreds and closer to a thousand they eat the bees the bees try to fight them off but the just clip the poor bee in half and keep moving in the hive eating bees and brood. One thing about them they can fly at night and do their deadly deed. they are mean and not afraid to attack any moving thing. they are said to live in dead trees near the end of woods. I was given this hive and went to get it and came right in the middle of the maylay but it was too late. keep hives strong weak hives with entrence reducers and do alot of praying they don't come your way
Walt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.