I have a new hive from a swarm that a bee friend gave me two weeks ago. It is a swarm queen - not the original. He had combined two swarms that had issued with in a day of each other and let the queens fight it out.

I placed the bees on foundation and have been feeding them. How long do you think it will be before the queen starts laying ?

Hugh in Nashville

Hi,

Once you have drawn comb it won't be long. It may be hard for you to spot the eggs at first. But in a week or so you should see larvae. Is this your first colony?

Clay

Clayton,

They have drawn out some of the comb already. In fact they have even stored a lot of the sugar water in the comb - when I inspected yesterday they had caped a small area.

My guess is that the queen was newly mated and may have been waiting a little while before she starts laying. The bees did not wait for her and started working on the comb and storing the sugar water and early nectar flow.

I had one colony when I was young ( 10 -13 years old) This is my first new colony as an adult (34 Years) I consider my self a new beginner with a littler "token" expierence.

The swarm was a surprize - I am expecting a package from Spell Bee co in late April.

Looking forward to being a part of the forum

Hi,

My guess is that the queen was newly mated and may have been waiting a little while before she starts laying.

reply:

You are right. It may take up to 15 days ( I've seen longer). Sugar syrup is good for comb building. But for brooding you need pollen. How is the pollen? If the bees are storing little to no pollen it could be a sign of a problem. I'd sooner bet that everything is just fine.

Happy beekeeping,

Clay

Lightbulb

Hugh,

Don't miss out on the Nashville Area Beekeepers Assn Meeting every 2nd Sunday of each month (except December) at 2:00pm in the Ed Jones Auditorium of the Ellington Agricultural Center.

This month they are having a special guest speaker. James E. Tew, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Entomology, Ohio State University, will present “Beekeepers – Have We Always Been This Way?” on Sunday, April 14, 2:00 PM (Reception to Follow) Location: Ellington Agricultural Center, Ed Jones Auditorium, Nashville (NOTE: Be sure to bring your spouse. This will be an entertaining talk for all.)

If you have thought about going now is the time to go. http://www.hivetool.com/naba/

I will have to miss it have to meet my daughter's fiancee Parents

Chuck