Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1

    Post

    I pulled my first honey crop from my hive yesterday! It was very exciting. My wife and I and my daughter sampled some of the honey.

    I did have an upset stomache last evening, but I don't normally eat plain honey.
    My wife was fine last night, but has a rash on her arms today. And my daughter was up several times during the night crying (but she's 2 and a half and wasn't up to telling us why she was crying, it could have been teething for all I know).

    My question is, how can I verify the honey is safe? It couldn't be fermented right from the hive right? It was 95% capped, and the super has been full on the hive for at least 3 weeks. There were only a few edges that weren't capped, I surmise the bees were eating that honey.

    Thanks for your help!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Nehawka, Nebraska USA
    Posts
    45,461

    Post

    >I pulled my first honey crop from my hive yesterday! It was very exciting. My wife and I and my daughter sampled some of the honey.
    I did have an upset stomache last evening, but I don't normally eat plain honey.
    My wife was fine last night, but has a rash on her arms today. And my daughter was up several times during the night crying (but she's 2 and a half and wasn't up to telling us why she was crying, it could have been teething for all I know).

    Kind of sounds like allergies. Maybe to the pollen in the honey or maybe some chemical in that kind of honey. Are any of you allergic to pollen in the air? I would only eat it in very small amounts after this until you are sure what the cause is.

    >My question is, how can I verify the honey is safe?

    Feed some to the dog? Just kidding. I don't know. There are accounts of some kinds of nectar that make poisonous honey, but I've never seen any or heard of any that was poisonous here in the US.

    >It couldn't be fermented right from the hive right?

    You'd notice the taste if it was fermented. It would taste very yeasty and have an alcohol taste and smell.

    >It was 95% capped, and the super has been full on the hive for at least 3 weeks. There were only a few edges that weren't capped, I surmise the bees were eating that honey.

    Or hadn't finished capping it yet, but I'm sure it was ripe or they wouldn't have capped the rest.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    1,262

    Post

    Micheal, does this mean that the alcohol in their honey does not kill the bees?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Nehawka, Nebraska USA
    Posts
    45,461

    Post

    Alcohol has little effect on bees at the concentrations that natural fermentation can cause (not more than 17% or so). It does not affect their nervous system much nor their digestive system. They can eat it in amounts that would kill a human and they can even clean it up. of course at amounts of 95% or so it messes them up. But these concentrations don't occur in nature.
    http://www.kernel.uky.edu/2000/text/0921/03b_news.shtml
    http://psychology.okstate.edu/facult...oozenbees.html

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    oneonta al.
    Posts
    848

    Wink

    I've seen bees working beer.>>>>MARK

  6. #6

    Post

    ty for the responses. I've tried the honey again since the first post with no ill effects. My wife hasn't eaten any more honey, yet her rash is worse. I think the rash is from the heat or humidity, it resembles a rash she got near the end of a trip to the carribean. Though perhaps she is allergic to something in the honey, if it indeed ends up being the honey, I will post the info again.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    1,262

    Post

    I've heard of people who are allergic to nuts but I've never heard of anyone allergic to honey.

    Has she eaten honey before and had effects from it?

  8. #8

    Post

    She has eaten honey many times b4. She's never had this reaction b4. I hope I can convince her to try it again in small qty's.To test whether she's allergic or not.

    She is very allergic to acacia, which grows prolifically here. Perhaps the honey contains too much allergens for her.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Pomfret, MD, USA
    Posts
    242

    Post

    First of all, are you even sure its an allergic reaction? A rash can be caused by any number of things and there are untold causes of allergic reactions. A rash with raised, itchy bumps, thats allergic. A rash thats just the skin looking funny but without discomfort, that could be a virus, an insect bite (lyme disease), etc. If its hives then I would look out for any changes in household chemicals such as laundry detergent that have been made lately... It also could have been something she ate 24 hours before the rash or more.

    An easy way to test if she is allergic: dip a needle in some of the honey, then simply scratch her lightly on the back. Not enough to break the skin, but like a light cat scratch. If she gets a rash reaction within about an hour, then yup, she's allergic.

    [This message has been edited by wishthecuttlefish (edited August 29, 2003).]

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ads