Question

I lost the queen that I installed with a package this spring. Same thing last year about this time. I did start a nuc with about 5 frames as back up earlier this year "June". It was started with a frame of what appeared to be new larva and eggs. My first attempt ever at starting a queen. I did find what appeared to be the queen in the nuc. There was eggs and new larva, but the queen appeared to be quite small compared to the one that came with the package. How old whould the queen be that came with a package be? My plan is to either combine these two hives or buy a new queen. Any advice would be appreciated.

[This message has been edited by redmcc (edited August 25, 2003).]

You have several choices:

You can combine them and have one hive.

You can pull a frame of young eggs and give to the queenless hive to raise a queen.

You can introduce the queen (using a wire cage or a standard queen cage with a marshmallow to replace the candy) to the queenless hive and let the nuc raise a new queen again.

You can combine them and then split off a nuc again later.

You can purchase a queen.

All have advantages and disadvantages. In the end if the nuc isn't that far along, you'll probably end up combining before winter anyway.

BILLY BOB Guest

I agree with Michael, if the nuc is'nt that strong I'd combine the two and split them next spring. Why order a queen now when you can do it next spring and have a younger one. With one hive this winter you will have less to take care of.

BB

Question

I didn't state it very well but I did have a question about the size of the new queen in the nuc. Is this normal when the start their own from a frame of eggs? I guessing she is probably 6 weeks old.

[This message has been edited by redmcc (edited August 26, 2003).]

>I didn't state it very well but I did have a question about the size of the new queen in the nuc. Is this normal when the start their own from a frame of eggs? I guessing she is probably 6 weeks old.

Causes of small queens:

Could be they didn't feed her well.

Could be it was started from a larvae that was too old.

Could be they are regressing.

I like the small queens because I am regressing to small cell. I've seen small queens that did very well. I've seen small queens that failed, but if they were failing the bees replaced her.

I've also seen large queens that did well and large queens that failed.