Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

I agree with BB. What drill could have prepared for these scum-bag looters? How do you "plan" for over 50% of the NO police abandoning their post or simply not showing up? How do you handle it when the useless POLICE join the looters? How do you "drill" for people shooting at med-evac copters?

A couple of blackhawk helicopters and swat teams to take out a few looters and a couple of gangs would have worked wonders for the rescue effort. But that wouldn't be PC and Bush would have been crucified by left-wingers like Jesse Jackson, et al.

Triangle Bees

>How do you handle it when the useless POLICE join the looters?

Apparently the NO police are the most corrupt in the country. They were so bad, they made an episode of 60 Minutes several years ago.

AMEN, DB, and no, Peggjam, other cities have never done it. No other city has ever faced even half what NO is facing. There are 3 to 4 million people in need that would have to be passed up just to get to the city limits of NO. I repeat, we cannot even fathom the extent of this damage. It's like trying to imagine a pile of money equal to the national debt. Our minds cannot reach that far.

db.......... The looting is a direct result of not having a plan. If the majority of people had been evacuated there would have been lots less looting.

Yes we made it, all we got was some 50mph winds here. The eye was about 150 miles to the East of me. I just got back online though, we had and are still having problems here because of the storm south of here. I did enjoy the blasts of wind while I was working my hive. I robbed two frames of honey while it was cooler outside. Glad we didnt get hammered.

No, Sundance, the looters left there would just have gotten more stuff, and the ones that left would just be taking from the others in the shelters. Scum is scum, where ever they happen to be.

Piroqueman, Thanks for the notification. One less to worry about. Maybe others will come on shortly. Glad to hear you made it safely.
    We were all concerned.

Have we become so inhuman that we leave our dead lying in the streets. When we have countries in as bad a shape as Sri Lanka offering help, there is something wrong.

I think the evacuation point is moot as those people stayed, and not all are looters.
    Why after 5 or more days are people still suffering from hunger.

40% of the people in NO live below the poverty line. Do you think they fully understood that this was just not another hurricane. When I hear of police handing in there badges and quitting they should be ashamed of themselves. What happened to Serve and Protect.

Murphy
    \"I will arise and go now, and go to Innisfree<br />And a small cabin build there, of clay and wattles made<br />nine bean-rows will I have there, a hive for the honey bee<br />and live alone in the bee-loud glade.\"<br />-- WB Yeats

pegg, no I am not suggesting that disaster drills are useless and a waste in general. I am stating that there are SOME things that simply cannot be prepared for.

Plan for and practice for a school bus accident.

Plan and practice for an airliner crashing into a populated area.

But this? Not possible.

Look at the world trade center...it took 2 days to really get cranked up...and that was a disaster that covered 17 acres...this one covers 90,000 square miles...more land that the state of Kansas, or Iowa, or Wyoming (actually I think Wyoming is 97,000 sq miles, but it's close).

This is impossible to plan or prepare for. You can do general training...you can have equipment, but when something like this happens you just have to react from the gut.

BubbaBob

iddee:

Actually they evacuated southern FL last year, and that was alot more people than NO has, and they had it done long before those storms hit. So yes, it can be done.

peggjam
    "I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Adam Savage

Peggjam, Have you ever been in southern florida when a hurricane came through? I have, and believe me, it is not evacuated. I have attended a number of drunken hurricane parties, and you can't even see a decrease in the population. The streets are full, and everyone is having a great time. You have never partied until you know it may be your last.

Bubba Bee and others interested in coming down to Cajun Land to assist. Thanks a lot!!!

However be prepared that motels are likely booked across at least southern Louisiana, Mississippi, and eastern Texas. Here in Baton Rouge, which is the staging area and first drop off point for the rescued, gas is quickly becoming a rare comodity. Drove at least 10 miles last night to find a Race Track selling the cheap gas for $3.00 per gallon. Passed by a dozen stations that were out of fuel.

Cellular and landline phone service in many areas no longer exists till infrastructure can be repaired and electrical service can be turned on.

The best way to volunteer would be to contact the American Red Cross or the Salvation Army. I'll be volunteering with the American Red Cross this holiday. Coastal Mississippi needs volunteers too. Honey can be donated too if your $$$$ supply is low too.

If you can donate non-perishable food items, clothes, baby stuff, etc., you can likely send it to the Louisiana or Mississippi offices of the American Red Cross or the Salvation Army. If not, send it to me at 995 N. Leighton Drive, Baton Rouge, LA 70806 and I'll take it by either organization you prefer.

AC and a hot shower never felt so good. My power was fully restored Friday Noon. I am truely one of the many lucky ones.
    James Henderson
    Golden Delight Honey; 225-803-5406 (cell)

Hang in Jim................ Once this country kicks it in gear things get done in a hurry.

Refugees beginning to show up in hotels in extreme southeastern Oklahoma. These are primarily the ones who evacuated and with the hotels filling up, the "bubble" of available lodging is just expanding.

David

well i think the mayor and the govenor dropped the ball. I saw a picture of a few thousand school buses parked in 5 feet of water dont know about the city buses probaly the same . I think they could have used them to evacuate the projects around the superdome, like they didnt think those savages wouldnt cause problems, Duh. Heck if i would have been there with out a ride i would have went out in a cattle trailer if it was available, but that wouldnt be politically correct and im sure someboby would want to sue because their treating us like 2nd class citizens,heck we are paying for their medical ,housing ,food ,edcuation,electricity water ect...jeez if there was enough limos to haul them all out they would still be crying that they wernt being treated fairly,cause there wasnt free fried chicken and 40oz bottles of beer in the limos.
    As for the troublemakers shot them dead on sight,string them up and paint looter on them so they all can see what happens to the undesirables.either cooperated with the police/national guard or simply DIE. Most of the looters not the ones getting food or water but the ones getting tv,s stereos , rapeing children ect.. wouldnt leave because there isnt very many oppertunitys to loot a major city every day. I know the south will rise again too bad we will have to pay for it to give them the chance to trash it,loot it again during the next hurricane.I first thought it wouldnt be a good idea to rebuild that cess pool. but we need to for me i dont want those thugs in my back yard.

I love America...where else on earth can people open up like this in a public forum without being hunted down by the government for speaking thier minds and magically disappearing off of the face of the earth?

Malcolm McNabb , You better be quiet. This is America. The "haves" don't allow the truth in their circles anymore. They will vile you to death for even thinking the truth, much less speaking it. Only idealistic speech is tolerated in this day and time.

I love America...where else on earth can people open up like this in a public forum without being hunted down by the government for speaking thier minds and magically disappearing off of the face of the earth?
    Ummm. Let's se. I can think of at least one place.

Our hearts go out to those suffering in New Orleans. We are doing fundraising in my neighbourhood to make a significant cash contribution to the Red Cross. Canada is sending 200 mobile hospitals and several huge water purification machines, among other things. We're all in this together, neighbours. It is frustrating not to be able to help more effectively.
    \"Where the bee sucks, there suck I.\" William Shakespeare: The Tempest.<br /><a href=\"http://www.parliamenthill.gc.ca/text/hillcam_e.html\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.parliamenthill.gc.ca/text/hillcam_e.html</a>

Thanks Buzzer!!!

I have long admired Canada. Wonderful folks and fantastic scenery.

When is the CBC going to end the strike. I listen to Winnepeg 90% of the time but stopped during the work stopage. I miss it!!!

posting this again here. Its a story from 2002 on what is happening in New Orleans. It was clear that it would happen. They did computer models for a direct hit of a category 5 on New Orleans. This one wasn't quite a direct hit or a category 5. So can they realistically build New Orleans back to handle a direct hit with a category 5? One day someone will see because one day it will happen, again.

http://americanradioworks.publicradi...urricane1.html

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast