Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Do you honestly think the hospitals, nursing homes, homecare patients, ETC, could be evacuated it 48 hours?? You must be dreaming.

Absolutly!! I would expect nothing less in a city lower than sea level. There should have been provisions for that. Detailed plans of evacuation with regular drills.

But as things went..........

Like I said, You must be dreaming. With that line of thought, why didn't they just put them up in a rocket and let them orbit until the danger was over. It would be just as feasible. To pull a drill with all the infirms, prisoners, and mentally and physically incapacited alone would result in more deaths and injuries then the real thing did. Get real..

I worked in a hospital pharmacy for 5 years. We had tornado drills, different levels of catastrophy drills, call in lists, etc..... Drills are drills....... not evacuations. Drills are meant to be prepared.

Are you saying they were ??
    That it could not have been done better??
    That a city that lies at least 7 feet below sea level could not have done a better job??

I am not blaming here, just observing and wishing for the sake of the dead it would have been done better.

We have to learn from this....

I listened Michael Chernoff on the radio arguing that nobody is without food and they should go designated areas. There was a reporter on the line from the Convention Center at the same time and Chernoff was basically calling him a liar.

When asked what had happened at FEMA since a 2001 report said NO would be devastated by a hurricane, he gave a canned answer.

I am wondering is this a third world country or the richest nation in the world?

The goverment has a responsibility to the people and instead is basicaly giving the country the one finger salute.

Murphy
    \"I will arise and go now, and go to Innisfree<br />And a small cabin build there, of clay and wattles made<br />nine bean-rows will I have there, a hive for the honey bee<br />and live alone in the bee-loud glade.\"<br />-- WB Yeats

Even admist the bullets that they face, they evcuated 600 crictcally ill patients overnight. I'm not saying they could have gotten every single person out of NO in 48 hours. I am saying they could've done alot more than was done. I do believe they could have removed all the patients and the people who wanted to leave but didn't have the means to do so. I don't think they had a plan in place to deal with a storm of this size, even though they have known for decades that it would happen.

In 2002 two reporters wrote an article that detailed what would happen if a cat 3 hit NO. It was very accurite, and could've been used as a blueprint for Katrina. So, how long do you think they have had to prepare for this??? Years.

This was botched before the storm ever hit. As far as the rest of the coast, they could evacuate if they wanted to, most of them didn't and now we have this mess. My comments deal with NO, not with the rest of the coast. The rest of the coast isn't under flood waters, and people arn't stuck in a city with no way out.

peggjam
    "I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Adam Savage

I've said from the beginning it could have been done better, just that it could not have been done completely and totally. When you are needing a hundred, 69 would be better then40, but the job still wouldn't be done.
    Could it be done better??? YES
    Could it have been done 100%??? NO
    It's 11:30 here, Bruce. Good Night
    It's been fun. I'll buy the next round of drinks.

Later iddee, it has been stimulating and good for my brain cells, the few that remain......... I am off as well.

You don't drill for what just happened. That would be as rediculous and ineffective as the drills in the 60's when I was in grade school in Rapid City, SD. We were constantly crawling under our desks and practicing not looking toward the windows in case Ellsworth Air Force Base got nuked by the Russkies. It was, and a drill for this would be, a total waste of time...like trying to pee up a rope.

BubbaBob

And remember all the money wasted on building bomb shelters in basements and under back yards.
    "BB, we're getting old."

&gt;And for a President to be sitting in freakin Texas until yesterday is just........ wrong!

Hmmm. He should waste a day traveling to Washington when he has things that need to be done and decisions to make. He can't make them in Texas? They don't have phone lines in Texas? They don't have any communications in his ranch in Texas?

I don't undestand the recriminations. Flying to Washington would have accomplished what?
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I agree with MB. Every time a president takes a vacation, it usually makes the news as "president plays golf while crises A, B, and C are occurring." There will always be crises and there will always be people in a bad way. Given that criteria, the president would never rest (or sleep for that matter). If you look at pictures of presidents before and after they're in office, I'd say the job takes its toll on them.

Being in Washington at least give the "impression" the man is one top of things.

And no offense.... It does not take a day for Air Force One to get to Washington. No long lines, and fewer bottlenecks at security screeners.

I wonder if he got a $200.00 haircut in route. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

BB:

So in essence you are stating that the drills held for distarter preparedness are a waste of time, money, and supplies??

Would you rather have trained personal who have never faced a major disaster be the ones to try to rescue you in the event that something happened in your area. At least they have stimulated what could happen, and learn a better way to handle things, than never having face this kind of situation, and being throwen into it with nothing. Thats why it is called training.

Comparing the drills carried out today with those of the sixites isn't exactly fair to the complex drills they do these days.

As far as getting everyone out of NO, it could've been done. If you stop to think about the number of people who could and did self-evcuate, there wasn't that many left that the city government had to move. This would've included the infirmed, and the poor and homeless. If you don't count the ones that refused to leave, you have a very small number in relation to the total number of city residents. Somewhere between 50-75000 people that would have needed assistance getting out of NO. That is very doable.

The reason Bush is recieving so much bad press is that it has been four days since Katrina made landfall, and the people of NO still don't have life-substaining supplies that they need. How long do you think these people stuck in their attics can continue to survie????? The response has been very slow, and is shameful.

peggjam

Numbers for comparison only:

Without drills, 55% success
    With drills, 65% success
    Could have been 100% success, B*** S***

10% is important if your in the 10% increase that got your *** saved. That's important. Who said 100%??? If you only deal with those who want to leave, yes 100% of those people is doable, considering about 75% will self-evcuate.

peggjam

Again, rather then asterisks, just imagine I typed them. The magnitude of what happened is totally beyond your comprehension.

OH, Peggjam, that wasn't meant as an insult to you, just an expression of the magnitude of what happened. I haven't stooped to personal insults, and hope not to.

I guess you have run out of logical arguements that would change my mind that evcuating NO of the residents that wanted to leave could have been done. Other cities have done so because they had realistic plans in place to deal with this kind of situation. But I guess a real plan isn't high on NO officials list pior to Katrina.

iddee: I didn't take that as an insult to me personnaly. I love a sprited debate, and as you said in a previous post to another thread, what we post here isn't going to change world policy.

peggjam

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast