On Friday afternoon I installed 2 - 3lb. packages in hives sitting side by side. I fed 2:1 syrup in can feeders in both hives. On Saturday morning I found 5&1/2 lbs of bees in one hive and 1/2 in the other. I shook half the been back in the "right" box and hoped they would get the idea to stay- they didn't. This step was repeated Saturday afternoon with the same results. On Sunday morning I repeated and released the queen from the strong hive, and moved the weak hive about 400 feet hoping the shaken bees would stay. I checked at dusk and Still the bees are in the "wrong" hive.
    Any advice would be apprieciated!!!!!!!
    sparrow

Hi,

You could try switching there location, thus the weak hive gets the flying bees of the stronger. Then shake a few later to balance out.

Clay

When you move them, try moving the hives apart atleast a mile a part. This should cut down or them going back to one hive.

Good luck

------------------
    Tim Gifford

Cool

UPDATE-

Clayton,
    I switched locations of the two hives in the middle of a sunny day and now there are equal #s of bees going into each hive.
    Your suggestion worked like a charm.
    Thanks!
    sparrow

Your welcome. File that balancing trick away for the future. It can be done to equalize 2 colonies also. Just be sure the weak colony is just weak, without underlying causes. Also there is a method to make a hive from two using this. Its in the old books. Get a copy of Snelgroves, SWARMING: ITS CONTROL & PREVENTION. Betterbee sells it or you can find an old or used copy on the net.

Clay

One hive from two? Maybe I'm blind, but I can't see it in Snelgrove.

------------------
    Regards,

Robert Brenchley

RSBrenchley@aol.com
    Birmingham UK

Hi Robert,

Awww! Come on. Now I got to look it up. I could be mistaken but I think its in there under methods of increase.

Clay

He's certainly got 'two from one', which might be what you're thinking of, but 'one from two? Or are you thinking in terms of taking brood from one hive and bees from the other, which is under 'three from two?

------------------
    Regards,

Robert Brenchley

RSBrenchley@aol.com
    Birmingham UK

Hi Robert,

It is the last one you mention. Three from two. What I meant is you make up one new hive using two. Or you could say three from two. Either way you say it you end up with three colonies.

Clay