My question is I’m getting (50)-4 frame nucs in the middle of May. The other 6 frames will be plastic foundation in each box. Any suggestions I’m hopping that the dandelions will out for a source of pollen. Also when the honey flow starts I will be sorting the honey supers with 5 drawn comb 4 plastic foundation. Lots of guys in the area say no problem Also any preference between black and white foundations?

Dan

>Also any preference between black and white foundations?

Black is better for brood as you can see the eggs easier.

But I have heard others say that the bees prefer the white.

I put a divide into a hive with a mixture of black and white plastic. They built a little on black skipped some to go to the white foundation next to it. Did this all the way across the brood chamber.

The white ones will become dark. Then you will then be able to see the eggs.

I have found the bees don't care as much as you think of the color. What seems more important to them is if they are waxed, and wether or not that wax gives off enough wax "smell" to attract them. I always have had pretty good luck with pierrco. Some say black works best, others say white......what does that mean? They both work.

I would suggest that you provide the nucs with lots of feed, to help them draw the foundation. I would keep the hive a little crouded at first and add the second chamber(foundation?) after they have completed atleast 9 frames. If you dont croud them at first, they wont fill the frames to the bottom. Dont be afraid of swarming, for the young will have lots to do, the queen hot on their tail. But watch, for that second hatch of brood, the hive will seem like it doubled over night,..

Ian

I prefer black since it makes it easy to see eggs, and also absorbs light when you open the hive (it keeps the hive darker than white which reflects light), which keeps the bees calm.

FEED THEM! Fill the comb for brood area, then put honey supers on.