Thread: Packaged Bees

Big Grin

Just thought that i'd share with you my day. I bought my first packages, 6/3# pkgs. What an experience! I had all the hives ready as well as medications, so is all i had to do is add the bees. It only took me a total of 3 hours, not too bad i think, considering three different locations 10 miles apart, like the Barmuda Triangle. Of course my first ones took most of the time and my mom (scared of them) & dad (very allergic to them) stopped by to check it all out & took pictures for me, (my husband's allergic to them too so i pretty much do all the beekeeping myself)
    I now have 7 hives, i would've had two more but they died from the cold this winter.
    My new darling girls love me so much that 4 of them got inside my veil (zipped to my coveralls) and tried to give me a 'kiss', aren't they just the sweetest things!
    Deanna

Hi Deanna,

Why do you think you lost some during the winter? Were they week going into the cold weather? Not enough honey? Anything you think you could have done to improve their chances next time? Thanks, D

PS.. I just started with 2 nucs this week.. I was with the real beekeeper to make my nuc and I was totally amazed/excited about the experience, all those bees and the sound- truly awesome! When I bent over to pick something up I felt a "sting" or two ... three bees had flown up my jeans and when I squished 'em, they stung me (I felt bad...) I think they were my first bee stings; it wasn't that bad. I didn't say anything because I was embarrased, but when I got home, I took my pants off and scraped the stingers out...LOL Just thought I would share my funny first sting(s) story

D

>I now have 7 hives, i would've had two more but they died from the cold this winter.

I lost severl nucs I tried to overwinter, but I'd have to say it's a combination of too small and too cold, because a good strong hive doesn't die from the cold.

>My new darling girls love me so much that 4 of them got inside my veil (zipped to my coveralls) and tried to give me a 'kiss', aren't they just the sweetest things!
    Deanna

Two got in my veil yesterday and kissed me on the neck. It's still sore. I don't remember thinking they were "sweet" at the time. In fact I remember saying something like #@* @##% BEES! But of course, I'm disappointed I can't be out there working them today because it's raining, but happy because we need the rain to get more blossoms for them.

>I lost severl nucs I tried to overwinter, but I'd have to say it's a combination of too small and too cold, because a good strong hive doesn't die from the cold.

I have to disagree with you about die-off not due to the cold, around here it gets pretty cold and this past winter it stayed cold too, many days in a row it stayed below zero and of course the nights were even colder. Its funny - car horns would go off during the night due to the cold. The electric bills around here (for heat) were outrageous, I heard someones was $500.00 for just 1 month - ouch! Mine ranged around $250.00-275.00
    Deanna

>Why do you think you lost some during the winter?
    >Were they week going into the cold weather?
    >Not enough honey?

No i dont believe they were weak. And as for the honey they had plenty left over, I left them two full hives of honey for the winter. It was just a terribly long & very cold winter, many days below zero. My local bee supplier (Drapers Super Bee - official supplier of honey to the White House, neat huh!) told me that i was lucky that i didnt lose all three of my hives (due to the cold). The previous year i had made slip-on covers made from "Reflectix" insulation, its like thick aluminum foil. I didnt put them on this past year because at my house i had trouble with condensation. I should've made a mental note that the other two hives at my dad's house (that are now dead) didnt have a problem with condensation, over there the wind whips terribly.
    There were some capped brood that froze too, I suppose she tried to bring up the population after they started dying off?
    Deanna

Default Re: Packaged Bees

awww!

Not enough bees to keep the brood warm and still have a surplus force to travel over to the honey. It is a spring thing.
    4 yrs, Peak 14, back to zip, T lite; godfather to brother's 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee View Post
    >I lost severl nucs I tried to overwinter, but I'd have to say it's a combination of too small and too cold, because a good strong hive doesn't die from the cold.

I have to disagree with you about die-off not due to the cold, around here it gets pretty cold
    Deanna - you do understand that Michael Bush is from Nebraska and probably knows a thing or two about what cold is?

The thread is from 2004
    Think about it....Buy American

Guess I should pay more attention to the dates.