taking someone out to show them some bee stuff for the first time & she is not sure If she is allergic bee stings. She can remeber being stung by wasps when little & that is it. Any way where would I go abot getting an epi pen or something of that sort?
    AKA BEEMAN800

I've been told, doctors will usually be happy to prescribe one to beekeepers. Its on my to-do list. I suppose a pharmacist would be able to write and give one, but may take more convincing. Anyway, its prescription only.

what else could I get over the the counter to help if she has a bad reaction to a sting? Something like benadryl?
    AKA BEEMAN800

I got a prescription for an epipen by telling my doctor I was a beekeeper. No questions asked. Then when I go pick it up, it cost $20

Well I figure it's good to have around. If I have to use it, when the person is lying on the ground looking up and beginning to breath again I'll bend over, look at them and say "You owe me $20" [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Dulcius ex asperis

Of course you are more likely to get hit by a bus than to need the epipen...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Good point Michael......... and epipens can kill you if not properly administered. Did your doctor demonstrate the epipen???? Hope so.......

Liquid benadryl is a good stop gap to get to an ER. Primatine Mist is still currently available and is epinephrine inhaled.

>Did your doctor demonstrate the epipen????

I doubt my doctor even knows how. Probably. I never saw the doctor, I think I called in the request and they called in the prescription. Luckily, the epipen came with directions.... pretty basic. I guess the risk is using it when you don't really have to. From what I've heard of anaphylactic shock, indications are pretty obvious.
    Dulcius ex asperis

"I guess the risk is using it when you don't really have to"

Exactly George........ Indications are obvious, unless they are clouded by fear and panic. Just seems to me a responsible doctor would test the patient to see if an allergy even exists, and then demonstrate the proper prodecure. Epinephine injectable is a bit dangerous to be handing out to anybody that requests it IMO.

>Did your doctor demonstrate the epipen????

My alergist gave me a script for twin epipens and they came with a practice one.
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

I got the 2 pack from my doctor and it also came with a practice pen. Couple things to remember. One is that the pens don't last forever and are heat sensitive. ie. no storing them in the glove compartment.

I've also heard from an EMT that you need to monitor symptoms before administering an epi. If the victims has a very rapid heartbeat then an epi-pen isn't needed...just benadryl on the way to the ER. If the victim has a very low pulse that's when you use it.

As said above...they can cause more harm than good if misused.
    If you're not confused you just don't know what's going on.

My son's cost $78.00 for his latex allergy.That's just for one!!
    I figure if they are unsure and/or uneasy about bees keep them out of the bee yards.This is the age of sue first ,thank you later for saving their lives.
    Beekeeps only!!Then at your own risk!!
    If you build it they will comb it.<br />Tim Rolan

In general, the fear of lawsuits is much worse than the actual lawsuit factor, in my opinion.

I'm always happy to take anyone out to the bee yard to show them around. Usually I get turned down quickly!

Just a note...

For those of you who (like me) don't have a regular doc, many of the pharmacies are opening clinics with nurse practitioners who are authorized to prescribe stuff.

I hope to do this sometime this week, myself. Far as I know, I have no allergies, but I'd feel better having an Epi-pen around, and the gist of how they're properly used.
    Pocket Meadow Farm

I haven't been stung in years and am just getting back into beekeeping. My wife made me get an Epi-Pen. I think it was only like $13.95 or something when I picked it up from the pharmacy. I had both the pharmacist and doctor (my father-in-law) show me how to use it.

Quint

My daughter-in-law is allergic to bee stings, so we have an Epi-Pen on-site (her medical insurance covered the cost, so I don't know how much it was).

Myself and most of my family have been stung many times, so we pretty much know who is allergic and who is not. My wife is the only exception, and she does not remember if she has ever been stung by a honey bee, she does remember being stung by wasps/yellow jackets and was not allergic to them, so she probably is not allergic to honey bees. She is fearless in helping me with the bees, and has yet to be stung so we may soon find out (or not).

Since we got the bees, I have been stung at least 7-10 times (I lose count) and so far it has always been my fault and not due to agression from the bees. Sometimes it swells like crazy and sometimes I hardly notice it, don't know whats up with that. The last time I got stung (did not see her when I rested my bare hand on the hive top, plopped it right down on top of her), it just felt like a bramble prick and never hurt or swelled or itched.
    "The UNKNOWN, huh? That would be SNORBERT ZANGOX over in Waycross."