Thread: bees in atic

Hi, Im a new bee keeper and i had a friend ask me to remove a hive from their atic, They added a spot light to the front of the home and it appears that is were the bees are entering, It is about 30 feet up and the thought of being up that high with a bunch of angry bees is kind of scarey. I went up into the atic with a flashlight and was able to see the hive at the base of the eves Question is hhere any way to get them out alive from inside the atic?

Yes, build a bee vac.

------------------
    Dale Richards
    Dal-Col Apiaries
    Drums, PA

Can you get to them from the inside of the attic? Do you have a beesuit with a zip on veil? Are you willing to get stung? It is always so dependant on little logistical things like how steep the roof is, how much access you can get to the actual combs etc. I tend to try to close the entrance up when they are out in the afternoon. Preferable with a cone, but I'll settle for just closing it and opening it back up after I vacumn the bees up and take them a couple of miles away. I've responded several times to how I would get them out of a house. But you do have to know when to walk away. If you'll be working for very long at the top of a tall ladder with angry bees, I'd walk away. It's not worth falling.

If you'll be working for very long at the top of a tall ladder with angry bees, I'd walk away. It's not worth falling.

I would have to agree. The swarm I removed from the barn, was 15 feet in the air, and I was lucky enough to be able to park a truck near it, then use a step ladder. It was hard enough to get at them at only 5 ft, let alone from a tall ladder. Then even if you had a vac, how would you get it up there, use it, and hold on at the same time..

I do think your original question, was how to get them out alive thogh..

------------------
    Dale Richards
    Dal-Col Apiaries
    Drums, PA

If you want to just get them out of their house,crush some moth balls up very fine. Take a hair dryer and blow the powder into the entrance. They will come out. Seal the hole. You may be able to catch the swarm that comes out. The queen will probably not be with them if they have been in the house for any length of time

------------------
    Jim