I have found my first wild bee hive in an old farm house. I am planning on trying to remove the bees this weekend and putting them in a hive in my bee yard with my other two hives. I am concerned about the wild bees infecting my two hives with mites or disease. Is this something I should be concerned about? Do I need to put the wild bees in a different area if so how far from my other hives? Any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance

------------------

>I have found my first wild bee hive in an old farm house. I am planning on trying to remove the bees this weekend and putting them in a hive in my bee yard with my other two hives. I am concerned about the wild bees infecting my two hives with mites or disease.

Odds are your bees already have mites. Odds are the wild one is surviving on it's own, so it must have some resitance to the mites. This is a good thing. If you can find wild bees surviving that have a good temprement, I would keep them for sure. If they are nasty, I would requeen them. Other diseases to be concerned about mostly would be AFB, but if they had AFB they would probably not be doing very well. I would try to pay attention when you are extracting the bees. Notice if you see varroa on the bees. Make a note of the quality, color etc. of the brood. If there is any suspicious brood (really dark cappings etc.) check with the matchstick test. http://www.kohala.net/bees/index.html#anchor400987

>Is this something I should be concerned about?

I would pay attention, but I wouldn't worry much.

>Do I need to put the wild bees in a different area if so how far from my other hives?

I would not.