Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Wisconsin like a lot of states offers personalized license plates for motor vehicles. I recently ordered new plates for my truck. The hope here is to increase my sales through increased visibility. A lot of times a sale will be generated through an opening conversation on bees. The annual extra cost of these new plates is $15.00. I figure a few new sales a year will cover that easily. Has anyone here tried this? I am interested to hear of your experiences.

What do your plates say?

Mine says BKEEPER.

Sorry Michael, never thought to include that in my first post. My new plates will be : B KEEPR.

My plate is BKEEPR
    We can only have 6 letters in our country.My reason for the chosen plate was for identity when servicing hives in remote areas.
    Bob
    New Zealand.

[This message has been edited by Bob Russell (edited February 26, 2004).]

Sounds like you all came to the same conclusion. Any other ideas from anyone on plates?

You heard about the guy who changed his name to 21-A73F? He couldn't afford personalized licence plates.

Bill: Has your plate led to any sales that you might not otherwise have had?

Karl, Do you have any signs already on your truck? If you do, then why the concern with plates? And if not, wouldn't a sign with name, Tel. # and info be more condusive to sales?

[This message has been edited by BjornBee (edited February 26, 2004).]

Cool

I agree that a magnetic sign w/ phone numbers and company name would bring in more customers. I have never understood vanity plates - why pay the government additional taxes when you have the whole vehicle to paint or put signs on to express yourself/ advertise if you want.

Smile

I have my company name on the side of my truck (but then I have a 1 ton flatbed that is only used for the bee business). I can see how someone might not want this stuff on a personal vehicle, and it may be cheaper and easier to get a personalized plate. I have used magnetic signs in the past also, and in my experience the paint under the magnet was affected (discolored).

------------------
    Gregg Stewart

>Bill: Has your plate led to any sales that you might not otherwise have had?

We had a thread about this last year, and since that time I had wanted to get one. When going out on swarm calls and colony romovals I had thought that a way for the customer to recognize me would be a good thing, espicially when they drive up and I am already there. I do not want to paint my truck, nor do I want to scratch it up with a magnetic sign, so the plate makes sense for me.

I decided to get one this year when I renewed my tag and I just recieved it today.

Even though I have my honey on the shelf in my store many customers do not realize that I am the producer. They do see my vehicle parked by the door, so I am sure that the topic will come up much more often than in the past.

[This message has been edited by BULLSEYE BILL (edited February 26, 2004).]

I live in maryland ,terrible last last year
    for honey,anyway does anyone remember what the web site for marylands bee tags

Re a sign on my truck, the answer is no. Basically for some of the same reasons stated by others in this thread. My truck is my sole form of transportation other than my Harley. I think the personalized plate sends a message and gets attention without risking the paint under a sign. On a side note, the girls were out here today in the sun. Reassuring to hear that friendly buzzing. Maybe spring is just around the corner.

>My truck is my sole form of transportation other than my Harley.

Karl, What year and model?

Mine are 1983 FLHT King of the Road
    and
    1947 80in stroked and chopped for stylin' and profilin' (town bike)

My truck has a veteran tag on it...

Motorcycles has vet tags as well.

Police/traffic officers are more tolerant when they see certain tags...

;^)

My suggestion or questions were from the angle of selling honey, making contacts, promoting your business(on whatever level), and making money. If the paint on the truck is more important, than other forms of advertising might be better.

For those wanting free (after the one-time fee of the magnetic sign or paint), this is the best everyday of the year advertising and promotion you can find. There are other forms of marketing that I would select first, and do use. I'm just saying that a plate doesn't really do the job correctly.

Bill: My baby is a 97 FLHTC. beefed up with a better cam and a little tweaking to generate a few more horses. About 52,000 miles on it. I purchased her used in 98 from a young engineer at Harley's Juneau Ave. plant. Have ridden it out into the Dakotas, Wyoming,and Montana 4 times. Three of those trips included the Sturgis rally. Plan is to go again this year. It just went into the shop last Friday for some preseason work.

I have made a few sales because of my plate, and it has spurred many conversations and questions. I think it's been worth it.

BEEKEEP

I've seen some other good ones at conventions (BEEKING, APISMAN, etc.)

I couldn't agree with Bjorn more. When and if I sell my business and go into bees full time I will have a flat bed truck with my business name painted on it, even a matching trailor. And I'll get a black and yellow coon tail for the radio antanee too.

hobbee
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I live in maryland ,terrible last last year
    for honey,anyway does anyone remember what the web site for marylands bee tags

if you are talking about the MVA site for maryland for personalized tags:
    http://mva.state.md.us/AboutMVA/FAQ/default.htm#12

if you are talking about the Maryland State Beekeeper Association tags, you can get more info from:
    http://iaa.umd.edu/mdbee/mdbee.html

I do not know what number tag they are on, but i'm sure you could find a number you like...

Robert