Exclamation

The spring meeting of the Kansas Honey Producer's Association will be held at the Ramada Inn, in Emporia Ks. The room rates will be $54.95 for single or double. To make your reservation call 620-343-2200 and mention that you are with the Kansas Honey Producer's, group code HONE. Reservations must be made by Feb 12th to get this rate.

Registration for the meeting:
    Members $12.00 for one day
    Non-members $22 one day
    Members $17.00 for both days
    Non-members $27.00 both days
    Banquet dinner $18.00
    Children $8.00
    Banquet reservations 800-547-1392 Joli by 03-02-04

Friday March 5th
    Africanized Honey Bees presented by Paul Jackson, Texas State Entomologist & Apiary Inspector. He will talk about the movement of the Africanized honey bees and their movement into the United States--where they are and where they might go.

IPM, Can We Afford Not To? Presented by Dr. John Skinner, Associate Professor, Entomology and Plant Pathology, University of Tennessee, Agricultural Extension, Knoxville Tennessee. John will give us some different ways we can manage our bees by fewer chemicals in our hives. He will also present a good case for the reason for this.

The Dog Days of Summer Inspection presented by our President Tim Tucker. The most critical time of the year for inspecting, determining hive and queen health and insuring a good honey flow for the following year. Too many bee-havers just pull honey around the first of August and run, literally. Find out what you need to do right now to insure that your hives will not collapse on you during the winter. This will involve "Queen Search" techniques, and fall requeening.

Gadgets - Bring a gadget or two that pertains to beekeeping and share it with others.

Protecting your Bees and Your Honey Supply presented by Brent Barkman. As a beekeeper and a honey packer Brent knows the balance needed to have healthy bees and chemical free honey.

The Lighter Side of pollination by John Skinner.

National Honey Board Update by Brent Barkman, past chirman of the National Honey Board will talk to us about the changes that are taking place on the honey board and how they affect us.

Homemake Honey Yeast breads - Cooking contest. This meeting our contest will be for homemade honey yeast breads. The kicker is that you really have to make it by hand-no bread machine recipes allowed. Honey must be the predominant sweetner. You must have about 40 copies of your recipe. The club members will be the judges! You will be judged on presentation, texture and of course taste and amount of honey.

Saturday March 6th

Fireside Beekeeping presented by Ray Morgan a beekeeper from Leavenworth Kansas will present a program on nectar and pollen producing plants. He'll cover such topics as what to plant, where to find the plants & seeds, and the type of honey the plants produce, He will also have a hand out that he has compiled. Ray sells perennial herbs and flowers in the spring.

A Comparison of Bee / Beetles etc. presented by Gary Ross. Gary has an incredible set of slides about insects other than bees. Because you keep bees people think you know everything about every insect - especially stinging insects. This is your chance to learn something about other insects.

Bee Diseases by Paul Jackson on identifying bee diseases. This will help you know what to look for and what to do if you find any diseases in your hives.

Did You Know? presented by Queen Jackie. This will be a presentation about the history of beekeeping and the honey industry.

The History of Bee Smokers presented by Paul Jackson, smoker collector extrodinaire! Paul will bring his smoker collection for you to see and he'll talk about the use smokers through out the history of beekeeping. He has written a book "Smoking Allowed" on the history of smokers.

Bees in the Wall, Dr. John Skinner. Every beekeeper has been or will be presented with the opportunity to remove bees from the wall of a building. Every beekeeper ought to do it at least one time! John will present various techniques for removing bees from a wall. He will also cover how to deal with this topic, what questions you will be asked and how to control swarming so this doesn't happen.

Chloramphenical, Nitrofuran, Antidumping, Ultra-Filtered Sweetner, and the FDA Processor Registration for the Homeland Security Isssue. Our own Jerry Brown is the new Executive Secretary of the American Honey Producer's Association, therefore, he is quite knowledgeable on currant issues affecting the honey industry.

KPHA SPRING MEETING
    What you need to do-
    1. Make your dinner reservation
    2. Make your room reservation
    3. Bring a gadget that you have made that pertains to beekeeping
    4. Bring a homemade honey yeast bread for the contest Friday afternoon

Mark your calendar, For more information call Joli at 913-768-8967 during the day or 913-856-8356 at night or e-mail at mail@mid-conagri.com

Bill

I called Joli. I will not be able to make your meeting but look forward to sharing with you at some stage about the work that I am doing in KY raising a Queen Bees for our region.

I trust that you will have a good meeting. John Skinner is always great to have as a speaker.

------------------
    If a job is worth doing - Then do it well

Looks like I'll be able to go to this.

IPM topic, Interests me.

Who's going besides me and Bullseye? And of course Joli and company.....

Maybe we can sup together...

He he heee

Gadgets.....

Bee Patio Shelter

I suppose I could bring my popsicle sticks, tape and water proof fabric for show and tell.....

I wonder if I can pay at the door?

>I suppose I could bring my popsicle sticks, tape and water proof fabric for show and tell.....

I wonder if I can pay at the door?

The gadget part sounds interesting to me too. I hope that quite a few people bring things for show and tell, I will.

Rob Mountain says the John Skinner is a very good speaker. His topic will be on IPM.

Yes payment can be made at the door, but you need to call Joli (sorry) before March 2 and tell her that you wish to attend dinner. They need to know how many people to expect.

See if Martha and Terri can come down too. This would be a good time to see Kansas Voulenteer also. Seams like there is another Ks. poster I can not remember.

Also remember if you need to order anything from Draper, Dadant, or Mid-Con, they will deliver and save you shipping.

Hi and Thx Bullseye Bill....

Yes there is another fella that is from Independence...

I'm trying to make arrangements so that I can be there for Friday.... But it's not set in cement as of yet. ;( I'm training a new person at work and hopefully he will know it well enough.... Goddess knows.

I'll be in touch.

Maybe you could email your phone number to me... I used to have a cell phone but give them up because it is frying peoples' brains and God knows I need all the brain I have.