angel h. lucas Guest

How can I produce propolis ?
    As I understand a fine perforate cloth which the bees will hopfuly fill up with propolis
    Do I need to make a frame for the cloth ?
    Is the frame fitted in place of the crown board ?

Sounds like you have the basic principles. If you want to make your own a nylon window screen will work. You can make a special top or just use some kind of spacer to let some light in. The light seems to incite them to fill it more quickly with propolis. Then roll this up and put it in the freezer and pull it out, when frozen and unroll it over your container and all the propolis breaks up into bits and flys off. You can also buy propolis traps here that are balck plastic with little slits in it. No you don't WANT a frame or you can't roll it up, freeze it and unroll it to get the propolis off. Yes it goes in place of the crown board.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Will Gruenwald Chilliwack BC

<If you want to make your own a nylon window screen will work.>

I've had a propalis scree all this time and I didn't even know it.

there was a topic in here not that long ago about caucasian bees, there excellent prop gathers. there are certian type of trees like popular, alder, pine, ect where bees gather prop from too so having your hives in areas rich with these plants will help too and even more so during august and september when the bees are preping or should i say proping for winter. then using the method in the link above you should be able to gather alot.

quite often bees mix prop with wax but by using those wind break screens or nylon window screens you'd pretty well get an unadulterated prop free of wax, dirt, or dead bees.

a fella i know makes a tinture using ethynol alcohol by freezing the prop then grinds it up using a electric coffee grinder, then soaks it in the E/A for about a week. he recommendes 5 drops in a glass of water once a day. i've used it on my canker sore and though i just about went through the roof with pain it got rid of it in 2 days. prop is great stuff, more people should produce it.
    Will Gruenwald Chilliwack BC