Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

What about condinsation? Suger pulls moisture from the air... doesn't it?
    I know more about nothing than you will ever know about anything.

Round Top, New York - Northern Catskill Mtns.

Yes, granulatd sugar on paper absorbs moisture from the hive. The paper and sugar both absorb moisture.

I use big gallon jars for hivetop feeding.
    The jars would always grow mold before the
    bees emptied them. A beekeeper told me about
    apple cider vinegar

I tried it and it works. (one Tbsp. per gallon)

Like MB says, it's just a matter of changing the
    Ph a little to stop the mold from reproducing.
    “It is only as the intelligence of man moves along harmoniously with<br />the laws of Nature, that any improvement can be expected.”<br /><br />G. M. Doolittle

Man O'War;

I just got through mixing some 2:1 syrup. It is still cooling in the jars and I am going to put it on in the morning.

Can I still add the apple cider vinegar?

It is supposed to get to 85 here tomorrow and I have several hives that are very light and I'd like to build them up before it gets cold for our three week winter!!! My girls were sure working the Mexican Heather in our flower beds today.

&gt;Pat, having used this ziplock method all year long, i can't imagine the liquid staying in if i turned it upside down. do you just poke little holes? a slit would dump massive amounts of goo onthe frames, throughthe SBB then onthe ground.

FordGuy The key is the amount of water you mix with the sugar. Just enough to stick the sugar together. Just stick your pocket knif in the bag where the slits will between the frames. I don't have any leakage. Use a mini box about 3 inch deep, put the sugar bag in this and place the intercover over mini box. Good luck

I just finished feeding mine from a five gallon pail of 2:1. I used one half gallon homemede HBH and had it stored outside for almost a month. No spoilage problems. My top feeder unfortunately wound up with mold and turned bad in a week. No bees touched it, even after the pail was empty. I only had a half pint of home brew HBH in three gallon top feeder. They were both made the same day. The top feeder had half emptied before it went bad.

Hopefully I'll find the right mixture to preserve the the syrup and at the same time stretch out the HBH economically. I'm cheap and prefer to save money, but not at their expense.

I tried pouring dry sugar into dry comb, then spraying it down with HBH/wate, then pouring more sugar in to fill up what had disolved and settled. Worked out real well, looked like crystalised honey....well sort of. It was not near as much work, or near as messy as trying to get syrup into the combs. Still a lot of work, I would only use this as an emergancy feeding.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12