I've collected propolis for my own consumption but I don't have a recipe on how to prepare it into suppliments. I would appreciate any recipes that call for about an ounce of propolis to make a small batch of suppliments.

Cool

Hi, Daisy;

I collect propolis as debris free as possible from the hives when the opportunity presents itself. I simply freeze it and then while frozen, run it through the food processor which virtually turns it into powder. I then either add it to juice or whatever to consume. Gelatin capsules can be bought and if you are patient, you can fill these for a measured amount.

I think the big health food companies use a chemical process to "clean" the propolis. I think it is dissolved so as to remove the debris. An then reconstituted by drying or other means. I believe I saw adds in Bee Culture at one time or another saying "Send Us Your Hive Scrapings". I called them a long time ago but what the money they were offering was not worth the effort. You might want to find out who they are, contact them and ask them how they process propolis. I, for one, would be interested in reading what you find out.

Thanx.

John

I think, but do not know, that propolis is soluble in alcohol. Use something like isoproyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol), to dissolve the propolis. Since isopropyl alcohol is a drying agent, propolis will quickly reconstitute if the alochol doesn't damage it.

I think just taking as pure scrapings as possible is you best bet though, this way you know its unadultered in any way shape or form.

Thanks folks. I'll try the freezing idea. And John, what I've learned is that some take propolis and add it to other things and put it in regular alcohol like vodka to make a tincture or something like this......

Or an extract. I suppose I'd like to know what and how to make an extract of propolis. I'll have a look around and let you folks know what I find out.

Thanks again.

beekeeping for dummies talks about making a tincture by dissolving in grain alcohol which is "everclear" or the highest proof vodka you can find. I seem to remember it saying to put the propolis in a closed glass container (I assume to prevent evaporation of the alcohol) at, I think 200 degrees and agitate periodically until the propolis was dissolved. It is very important NOT TO USE ISOPROPYL OR METHYL ALCOHOL / METHANOL if you intend to take internally as these alcohols are poisonous. There is also a recipe for propolis ointment that used equal portions of propolis, beeswax, liquid parafin and honey, heated in a double boiler until melted and then poured into suitable jar / container.