Thread: Who ships UPS?

The Post Office tells me they won't ship bees into Alaska because they won't ship them air mail. UPS says they will ship them, but I can't find any suppliers willing to ship via UPS. Anyone know who might ship package bees on UPS?

And just in case you need a laugh ...
    Getting bees in Fairbanks, Alaska is difficult. There's a local who drives to CA every year and brings packages back, but he reportedly has a long waiting list for space on his truck. So, a couple years ago I tried ordering package bees from both CA and TX. Both places gladly took my money and put them on a USPS truck. Didn't bother to mention that they couldn't ship air mail. I got a call from the PO in Seattle asking when I was going to come get my bees. I told them where I was and they said sorry, we can't ship bees up there while they're alive. I said "what do you mean while they're alive? You'll send them up when the buzzing stops?" She said "yep, that's right. Have a nice day." I got 24 pounds of dead bees three weeks later.

I get queens, next day air from FL through UPS. I don't know about packages.

Seems to me that I have heard of packages being shipped via air. You have to turn them upside down so that the change in air pressure doesn't push the syrup out of the cans. Or, at least, that's what I remember hearing.
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

{Seems to me that I have heard of packages being shipped via air}

Like from Austrialia or something right?

USPS won't ship packages or Nucs airmail, prioirty only. I don't believe they would be let into Canada via ground and it would take too long to get them there unless they really had the big feed can on. We have a couple of Alaskan Beekeeper on here, where's Dick Allen?

No, Joel, this was years ago and the "story" was about flying over the Rockies.
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

Wilbanks Apiaries, in Georgia, ships packages UPS. I don't have their phone number handy, but they advertise in both magazines.

Lloyd
    Lloyd Spear, Owner of Ross Rounds, Inc. Manufacturers of round section comb equipment and Sundance Pollen Traps.

They ship no further than zone 4 (from Wilbanks). Not sure, but alaska may be further than that. I can't find the wilbanks letter at the moment, but the Hardeman letter says zone 4. I am sure wilbanks is the same but I may be wrong.

I have received 3# packages via UPS from C. F. Koehnen & Sons. They're in Glenn, CA--(530) 891-5216, www.koehnen.com.
    Bob Bleakley, Mimbres Valley Honey

C.F. Koehnen does ship bees UPS to Alaska, but since it's next day air, you'll pay a premium for them. If you decide to go through Koehnen, you'd better contact them ASAP. Another local beekeeper last season who got in touch with them about this time last year discovered they were already sold out.

Thanks for the tips. I'll give Koehnen a call. Also, thanks to Dick Allen, I've made contact with someone in southcentral Alaska who successfully ships bees in, so it looks like there's hope.

Obviously, if one lives in Alaska it is best to get packages from Koehnen rather than Wilbanks.

I also know that Wilbanks literature says they will only ship to Zone 4, but I am REASONABLY SURE that only applies to post office deliveries. Reg went to great pains to explain to me how he got qualified to ship UPS, how he actually ships UPS (he was using Calif. as an example), etc. Anyone interested only has to call. I now have his phone number 912-739-4820.

Hope this helps someone.
    Lloyd Spear, Owner of Ross Rounds, Inc. Manufacturers of round section comb equipment and Sundance Pollen Traps.

How many do you want I would kind of like to go fishing in Alaska.