Thread: Pierco Frames

Angry

I have tried a few pierco frames and not had much luck with getting bees to draw them out, is this typical? I have mixed the frames in the past, maybe all pierco would work whereas this had limited success mixed with wax foundation frames?

I have never tried mixing the wax and pierco, but I have heard people say bee's will choose wax over pierco, I use pierco 1 piece frames and foundation and very happy with it, I have only pierco in all 6 of my hives, when installed the packages they started drawing the pierco out nice, I have to checker board some of the frames to get them to draw out all the frames......
    here some pic's after a month of installing the packages..

http://www.beemaster.com/beebbs/viewtopic.php?t=2466
    Ted

Give them all pierco or all wax. If they have a choice, they will draw the wax. Feed them or make sure a flow is on. I've had great success with pierco one piece frames right out of the box. No spraying or exrta waxing needed. I have a few pics on my site that show the pierco frames being drawn out during a flow.
    Todd Zeiner

>I have tried a few pierco frames and not had much luck with getting bees to draw them out, is this typical?

Yes.

>I have mixed the frames in the past, maybe all pierco would work whereas this had limited success mixed with wax foundation frames?

In a flow anything might work. Once they are drawn the bees treat them all the same. But with bare foundation, they will always work the wax and ignore the plastic until they have no where else to go.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

My bees only get plastic. They draw it great no problem but then again they don't have an option if they need to draw comb. I haven't put any wax in the hive. I like pierco so much that I bought 1300 sheets of the snap-in foundation this winter....I've got 800 sheets installed..... Only 500 more to go.
    Dan Williamson
    B&C Honey Farm http://www.flickr.com/photos/9848229@N05/

Thanks for the replies everybody. I have several one piece white pierco frames, and I think I will give the bees a chance at an entire hive of the pierco frames.

The only time I have a problem with pierco, is when the frames are not pushed tight together. If the gap is too large, they will make cross burr comb. Keep the frames tight together and give them no other option but to draw it.

I setup 2 hives 6 weeks ago both with new queens that I bred myself. The hives had a good amount of bees covering 8 frames. I put 8 frames on top of each hive one hive with plastic one piece frames coated with wax and the other with half sheets of wax foundation. In the six weeks the hive with the wax foundation has drawn 7 frames and filled them with honey. The hive with the plastic frames has drawn only one frame.

Alex King (K142)
    Alex King (K142), Melbourne, Oz. Beekeeper since 1962

Ours don't like the Pierco, they go for the wax every time. When they do use the Pierco, they make wacked out Picasso looking stuff...go figure.
    Two roads diverged in a wood and I - I took the one less traveled by...