Sad

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My hive that i started last spring is at a lost... the hive seemed strong, but then it went down hill and there are few left and the eggs the queen layed are not attended to. the hive has a good supply of honey and full drawn comb. I ordered a package of Italians to intoduce into a new hive, but now think i should use the Ruusian hive. If i find the queen and discard of her, will it be possible to put the Italian package in this hive? thanks...

[size="1"][ April 16, 2006, 08:07 AM: Message edited by: Propaniac ][/size]

It would work better if you shake the residents out just before you dump the package in. The resultant confusion will keep them from fighting so much. That, or install the new package in another box, wait a few days, dispatch the Russian queen and then do a newspaper combine.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I would investigate to figure out why the hive was so weak before throwing in a package. If what's left of the colony is loaded with mites, it might do the new package good to break the mite reproductive cycle. Let them die out or treat them first before adding the new package (IF mites is the cause).

Good luck!

-Pete
    ------------------------------
    "If it ain't broke, I'll break it!"

what would be the sign of mites in the hive? i never saw any before...and now the bees are just about gone. what would be left in the hive to look for? thanks again...
    Chris

[size="1"][ April 16, 2006, 12:50 PM: Message edited by: Propaniac ][/size]

I'm not sure what your time frame is or when the package is coming. If this were my situation, I'd look for signs of mites, then treat accordingly. But this would require a screen-bottom-board which you may not have. As an alternative, you could stick in some apistan strips, if you have some, for a short period of time. As there is very little brood, the mites would be exposed and killed in a short time.

As a further alternative, I might removed half of broodless frames of the drawn comb and honey, and stick them in the freeezer for 24 hours to kill any mites. Then I'd start the package on these five drawn frames plus new foundation. Once established, do the newspaper technique, provided you remove the old queen in the weak hive, provided there is still some bees left in the old part when you want to combine them.

These are just my thoughts, but you don't say if this is your only hive. I might take this weak hive and switch locations with a strong hive. The field bees from the strong hive would give a little boost to the weak hive (now in its location). But if mites are the problem, and left untreated, then it's not likely this would realy be of help in the long run.

Reviving weak hives is tricky. I guard my disappointment with low expectations. As I'm more or less just thinking out loud, I might just go and start the package on a new set of equipment and treat the weak one for mites to see if there is any improvement.

Grant
    Jackson, MO
    Beekeeping With Twenty-five Hives: https://www.createspace.com/4152725

this is my only hive... how long does it take for the mites to run there course once the bees are gone? the package is coming on saturday...

thanks for the help...

[size="1"][ April 16, 2006, 06:08 PM: Message edited by: Propaniac ][/size]