Thread: Question ???

When installing a new package of bees , is it ok to install bees with the a slatted rack already installed or install it when the colony has some time to buildup before it gets hot,,,,, same question about SBB or should I install it at a later time or just use the standard BB when starting hive off ?? do these make much difference when a hive is starting ? thanks for your support.

Ted

You can install it now. It won't do any harm.

I would consider the time of year. If it is early and the night time temps are dipping down to chilly, I would keep the tray in so the brood can be kept warm. I would not remove the tray until the temps stay above 50 at night. In the fall I install them when the temps return to 50 at night.

The slatted rack wouldn't matter that much, and could be installed anytime.

I'd put the slatted rack on from the start. The slatted rack creates a controled ventilation situation as opposed to an open screened bottom board which lets in the draft. But then I usually install a package in a five frame nuc box because the weather in April around here can get really cold and they seem to take off much better in a smaller space. Since I do that, the slatted rack doesn't get added until they are moved to a ten frame box.