Lightbulb

I was thinking about queen excluders for some time and the pros and cons. I know that a number of beekeepers donÂ’t use them once they have one supper of honey capped because the queen will usually not cross over capped frames. I also know that bees donÂ’t like to go through them and many people feel they are honey excluders. I usually screen off my bottom entrance and put an entrance above the queen excluder. This solution works but I tend to get more pollen in the suppers than I like.

Now what if you made some solid wooden boards (follower boards)that took the place of frames in a supper. As the frames in the top super were filled you could move them down into the wooden frame supper. Do you think it would keep the queen below and do you think the bees would cross it where it would not act as a honey excluder?

I am sure that someone at some point in time must have tried it, so what do you think?

[This message has been edited by magnet-man (edited November 11, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by magnet-man (edited November 12, 2004).]

Those hive top entrances that you asked about reciently are designed to be queen excluders, similar to your idea.
    http://members.cox.net/bullseyebees/_sgt/m1m2_1.htm

It is a box within a box and an opening on one end. The bees are able to travel up and down the four sides and the solid box in the center keeps the queen from moving up. The only problem I had with them is that without baiting the bees up above the entrance box they overcrowd and want to swarm. Your idea may eleviate that problem. Consider making your excluder box with solid stationary boards but only three or four inches deep and with an opening on one end. It just might be a better way than what I have.

very interesting idea magnet-man!

bullseye:
    - so almost the complete area above the frames is closed off?

- you added that sheet metal as a landing board? you found it nessasary?

- where did you purchase that top entrance?

thanks

------------------
    NH Beekeeper

** Have you seen BeeBlogs.com ?

>bullseye:
    >- so almost the complete area above the frames is closed off?

Yes, except about a half inch around the outside of the inner box.

>- you added that sheet metal as a landing board? you found it nessasary?

I guess I forgot to mention that the landing pad came with the kit, and no, it is not absolutly necessary, but it is helpful when they come in for a landing and they are heavily loaded and crash land.

>- where did you purchase that top entrance?

From Country Flower Honey Farm
    a.k.a. Common Sense Beekeeping
    3687 Granger Rd.
    Medina, Oh. 44256

Last years prices for the top covers were 14.50
    and the entrances were also 14.50
    five each plus shipping (29.79) handling (1.00) cost me a total of $175.79
    That was 2003 pricing.

I may have inadvertantly called them Humble Adobes in another post, please accept my most humble appologie for that.

[This message has been edited by BULLSEYE BILL (edited November 12, 2004).]