Thread: BEES DEAD! Help

The last few days my bees were active and flying when it got warm enough, now there are about 2 pounds of dead bees on the ground and on the bottom board making entry and exit impossible to the bees.
    I cleaned out what I could, there's no smell they have plenty of stores, what could be the reason? They died in a matter of a day or so.

I opened the hive and there are about a 1/3 of the bees left and I don't know if the queen is alive. I also have a nuc thats doin just fine. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

My first thoughts are insecticide or mites.

I have lost a lot of bees when the city I lived in at the time was fogging for mosquitoes with Malthion during the day (a violation of the EPA laws at the time). Do you have neighbors who are not happy about the bees?

You can try fogging with FGMO and putting in some apistan and grease patties. If it's mites this will help.

But if it's insecticides you'll have to either accept it or find out who's spraying what in the area.

My closest neighbor is a mile away and I didn't have no varroa or trachea mites, I used menthol for trachea and sticky board always for varroa and only rarely see varroa.
    Weird. Thanks

If they were out flying looking for nectar they could go a mile. I wouldn't think anyone would be spraying for mosquitoes this late. There have been strange occurances of hives just dying for no apparent reason.

In Louisiana, spraying is year-round in some areas. The mosquitoes can be horrible. It does seem strange that the other hive wasn't affected, though. I would think if it were pesticides, that many of the bees would have died before getting back to the hive, and it seems that there would be more still doing well in the hive. None of the bees had acted ill prior to this?

All the bees seemed fine up until a couple of days ago. I'm puzzled