It rained 2" finally, yesterday and last night. Today it's mid 60's and the bees are flying. Lots of light yellow pollen coming in. I guess I'll start feeding shortly. It's been an exceptionally mild winter so far.

Big Grin

grrrrrrrrrrr....

I am over north of Fort Worth, about 75 miles west of you, same thing yesterday. Bees were bringing in loads of yellow pollen and a few grains of dark orange pollen. Glad we had a break in the cold and rain as the bees went into winter a bit light. One hive was pretty badly robbed out and the other suffered from an overly agressive beekeeper anxious to have honey for Christmas gifts.

The mid-winter pollen should help the brood rearing get started. I have no idea where they managed to find it. I walked the pasture, the fencelines, down in the creekbed, all through the woods, even the mistletoe in the treetops - couldn't find a single bloom anywhere except for potted pansies on the deck of the house. Somewhere they found something in bloom, I don't know if it was dandelions tucked in some warm microclimate or what. Tried following the flight path but never can seem to follow them more than 40 yards before they disappear.

Last night 'cold' weather moved in - 41 today headed for 24 tonight. The Llamas are just feeling frisky, they've been playing chase and king on the mulch pile, guess this is just about the right temperature for a wool coat.

Expect that we will see long enough days to start getting dandelions in 4 or 5 weeks. Then the pears, plums and finally peaches. This year I will pay more attention to the bloom on the oak, ash and elms.

It was in the 60's today after a week of 40 degree weather and the bees took advantage of the chance to fly and cleanse! I made a point of watching them as they came back into the hives because Tuesday is supposed to be the startup date for red maple pollen in these parts, but they we all coming back "empty handed." This week's supposed to be back in the 40's again, so I guess it'll be a while before they start collecting pollen. One of my hives is very strong and they were buzzing around the front of the hive in a manner which suggests "swarm." Better get my swarm trap hung!

In December my bees were bringing in a light brown pollen, and last week they were bringing in a yellow/orange pollen. My curiosity got the best of me so I lightened one of the bees load to get a taste. It was moist and surprisingly sweet, but had a slight bitter taste afterward. So much for the taste test... still have no idea where it's coming from. Anyone know when the maples start to bloom around northern Arkansas/ southern missouri?

According to www.pollen.com you've just got Juniper right now.

Mountain Cedar, I should know that since it tries to kill me every winter.

I will have to check the cedar trees next time I am at the farm. My bees have been bringing in pollen every nice day for a couple of weeks. Our high for today was 36 and our low for tonight is 18. I am in south eastern mid Tenn. less than 3 miles from the mountains. The mountains effect our weather qite a bit. Nashville is were our news comes from and they said that the rain was gone and there was only going to be a flurry or 2 around. We got about 1/2 inch of snow before it got warm enough for it to melt off. I have a big red maple near my hive and it is not flowering yet but I did find a couple of dandelions blooming in the next town over last Sunday at the edge of the parking lot.

We have cedars (junipers) on our place and I've never seen bees in them. We have had a few dandelions blooming here for the past week, though. Bet that will end after tonight for at least a week or two. The water and American elms will be blooming in February in this area, and the bees get loads of pollen from them.

>The water and American elms will be blooming in February in this area, and the bees get loads of pollen from them.

Are you sure they are American Elms? I would love to see an American Elm again. I haven't seen one since the 60's.

Yes, I'm sure they are American Elms.

60 degrees F today. Not your typical January weather for here.

American Elm information for resistant trees and such:
    http://www.elmpost.org/

------------------
    Chuck
    Information Systems Consultants
    Lershac@cox.net