Nicko Guest

Question

I was recently reading a restaurant review and the review stated that the chef used Un-filtered honey in the recipe. What does un-filtered mean in terms of how honey is processed? I have never heard of the term un-filtered honey before.

Thank you for any replies?

Cool

I have just recently extracted honey and we filtered the honey through paint strainers and the final filtering was through shear stockings. This process filters out most of the floating pollen and other debris that may come out of the frames. The honey looks cleaner. I do have customers that want RAW honey, not heated or filtered.

Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nicko:
    I was recently reading a restaurant review and the review stated that the chef used Un-filtered honey in the recipe. What does un-filtered mean in terms of how honey is processed? I have never heard of the term un-filtered honey before.

Thank you for any replies?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    "Filtered honey " is usually referred to as the stuff you buy off the shelf at grocery stores. Firstly it might not be honey but an adulterated mix of honey and unknown additives or someone passed with a jar of the whatjamacallit, by a true honey jar and called it honey. Secondly , due to the habit of litigation anything offered to the public must contain no odds and ends of "Unclean" nature.It has to be crystal clear, sterilised ,etc.. That means in order to filter , it must be heated over 150 deg , thus effectively killing all good stuff honey is made of. It has to be liquid enough to proceed through the filter material to become wonderfully clear to look at.
    The direct opposite is the case with raw honey, we beekeepers present to the public.
    It is not heated to destroy the ingredients , it contains wonderfull pollen particles and minute wax parts.It therefore does not looses it's taste and maintains it's NATURAL flavour as well as it's medicinal values some people claim it has.( I certainly think so)
    And thus spoke Zoroaster
    JDF
    Panty hose is another good strainer since it fits over a 5 gal bucket . Just tie down the legs and shear them off.

[This message has been edited by Juandefuca (edited 07-23-2000).]