Hybrid View

I've just turned 27 (4 weeks ago) and I've been beekeeping for 18 mths,plus it's my only source of income.So that vote in the 20-29 column in the poll in the other post is mine,I'll be interested to see the results but I'm betting on an average of 45, that's the average in our town.

Default Re: Average age of a beekeeper

Just a couple a days short of a half a dollar here. Yea thats right. 50 cents. Of the commercial folks within 20 miles of me it would be 50, 55, 58, 60, 63, 65.

Out of the lot only one has a son in the running to "take over." Mine will be off to college in the fall to study to become an ME although my heart tells me he will likely consider coming back to run bees or some other sort of farming. His goal as an ME is to design equipment for the ag field that lessens manual labor inputs.

Besides moving bees with forklifts beekeeping is still in the stone age mechanization wise. Not sure we will ever be like auto tomato pickers or the like as much of beekeeping requires a quick look and see to determine what to do next.

Maybe someday we will have probes and sensors that will tell us how and when to feed, etc..... based on computer modeling. That would be nice labor wise but sure would take a lot of the fun out of keeping bees.

I think thats why many young people disdain beekeeping. Its a great job but if you look at if through the general American mindset it just to darn hard physically and with long crazy hours to boot on top. Not enough folks willing to put up with what it takes.

Besides that who would want to risk hundreds of thousands of dollars on capital that might die of in a heartbeat.

Let's see. I'm 58, so my average year would be all the years I have lived divided by all the years I have been a beekeeper, which is 35, or, too much math.
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

26 here. You may find that you're data may be a little low because a lot of the older folks are still trying to figure out what this here televison screen sitting on the desk is for and can't get on here to post? Wheres the dang remote for this TV set? ! But you gotta hand it to them. Learning the things that they did without the use of the internet. I tell my wife all the time that I could give up the tv and every book I have in the house but I would not give up the net. Just so much information available. An example? Well humm let me think... Oh yeah BEESOURCE! Yes I will be here all night.

im 16. Dont plan to give it up any time soon. If it will ever be what I do? I dont know, dont have to know. Ill get to 10,and if that goes well maybe 25, and if that goes ok,more. You get the idea. My club has a lot of younge beeks like myself . All but one of them isnt terribly bright. We need beekeepers and prices will rise and more people will get into it on bigger scale....hopefully.
    Chris Cree
    Cree's Bees

It is good to see a young person involved. I am 48 and have kept bees for almost 39 years. I feel very old, as I have seen so much change in the industry. I went from just using terrimyicin and sulfa to fight AFB. To just about having to have a pharmacist degree to treat the bees with their new exotic diseases and pest. I went from using managment knowing that your bees would be there every time you visited to "Know Till management": You do not know what you got till you get there. I have seen the bees decline along with the number of experienced beekeepers decline also as their bees declined. A lot of practical knowledge has been lost because of this. Yes, I feel old--like a dinosaur that survived the KT extinction boundary. The young man that posted is a bright spot--beekeeping will continue. And I wish him well TK

Come on Ted you are just a kid at 48, your next 48 are always the best. Yeah I remember when AFB was the baddest dude on the block but that is soooooo 1980. I'm still trying to figure out GPP's statement that all but one of them isn't terribly bright. Whatever, glad to hear there are some young folks excited about beekeeping. Surely the death of the beekeeper has been greatly exaggerated.

My daughter has four hives. She is eleven.